Astra Estate P Reg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in buying a nice Astra Estate (its P reg) but would like to know if there are any recuring faults or common problems to look for on it. :confused:

Sponsored Links
According to Parkers:

Plus: Practical; easy to live with; good value
Minus: Handling may disappoint the enthusiastic driver

Summary: A long-running favourite with family buyers but now looking dated. The Astra fulfils most people's expectations of an inexpensive small family car thanks to affordable running costs. There's a huge choice of versions to suit most purposes but higher specification models would be the ones to seek out. Older cars may have been through many hands and possibly 'clocked', so be very wary if history is incomplete.

Also lots of good info to be had on all models at www.carsurvey.org :idea:

Thanks for the info, you saved me a trip to the shop for a Parkers book!

Much appreciated. :D

Rust! Obvious I know but some of the early mark III's fell apart while others were immaculate. Brake calipers have a habit of sticking on so check the front brake discs. Coil springs get brittle with age and depending on usage the rear shocks will also be the worse for wear. I don't know what model you're considering but the rocker cover gasket is a common fault but easily fixed. Sumps are also vulnerable and get rusty so it's worth having a look under the bonnet and base of the engine. Diesels are good but watch for head gasket problems, blue smoke, overheating etc. They also tend to be heavy on the alternators, glow plugs and sometimes starters. Brake pipes are another favorite on older cars and can be very expensive to replace so watch out for rusty and flaking pipes. All the usual stuff ;)

Sponsored Links
ratem; You seem to know your stuff! Your list of pointers almost put me off Astras but I'll now check them thoroughly!

Thanks ratem ;)

i've got one (1.6 petrol 8 valve p reg) and have had it for 6 years.don't be put off by some of the negative comments.Run off the mill car which is cheap to maintain and repair,You can do most off the service things yourself.It is like any car which if looked after will serve you well.Some cars tend to suffer from ecu engine management problems.Other things which tend to go are
rear brake cylinders £6 each
brake pipes -change them to copper then no problems
rear springs which cost approx £50 a corner
sump plug leaks which are caused by the ommission of a copper washer
front suspension-top of strut rubber bush which costs about £50 a corner.
side protective strips tend to come adrift cost is approx £10-£15 from Vauxhall dealers(they are attached with adhesive so no rusty holes)
cold running engines caused by thermostat which on mine is located behind the timing belt.......get both done and the oil seal at the timing belt and save yourself any grief.It is not a dear car to run and if looked after well will last for years.Maybe i should sell you my 67000 miler :)

if you buy a diesel make sure its the isuzu engined variety. built like a tank, bloody expensive when they finally go.. but def the better one.. bigger turbo too :)

Dont buy a diesel unless you are going to be putting in the mileage.Remember they also require more servicing

NON- Isuzusui-Diesel...........slow despite turdo...BUT 113 thousand miles with service every 10 thou .Owned since 40thou miles NO PROBS :D

Sponsored Links
Back