Astra G 1.7D wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 53 Plate Astra Van 1.7 Diesel, I bought it about a month ago and it was sluggish to start, I ran the battery down and had to recharge it, just refitted the battery and the engine is cranking but wont start.
I know it has had a new battery and starter fitted in the last few months. I am anxious to know what may be wrong as I don't want to spend major £££ as this van is just a stopgap.

From searching google/yahoo etc I have been advised variously that it could be fuel filter, pump or possibly filter housing.

I know this may be a "how long's a piece of string" question but would appreciate any input from someone who knows more than I do.

Thanks
LB

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with this model so I can't be specific but you need to test the pump to narrow down the possibilities.

Also check to see whether there's a special procedure to be used when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. My Peugeot battery, for example, can't simply be disconnected.

Prolonged cranking on a diesel engine can destroy starters and batteries and is normally related to fuel pressure issues so as suggested it may be worth getting the fuel cranking pressure tested using suitable diagnostic equipment.

Sponsored Links
It is quite possibly the EDU, there are a few fix-it threads on here describing how you can check/repair yourself.

Back