Nissan Sunny 1989 B12 wont start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Nissan Sunny 1989 B12, which was running fine till about 2 weeks ago, when it just started to jolt around then completely stopped.

Couldnt get it to restart, not even turn over

AA man came and said it might be the Fuel Pump

So replaced fuel pump and starter motor as that was playing up anyways and also spark plugs.

Now the car turned over ok, but would not start, eventually managed to get it bump started. Ran for rest of day, but kept cutting out and had to restart while still driving.

Eventually later that day, it stopped again, could turn over still but would not fire and start.

AA man came again, checke all sorts of things, including if there was a spark, as fuel was low, he thought it might have run out and gauge was wrong, towed to petrol station, filled it up, still wouldnt start. Towed home, still wont start.

Any ideas as to what it could be - i know the battery has virtually run down, but have tried jumping it from other cars, still wont fire.

Is there anything obvious i can check for?

Sponsored Links
If you've changed the fuel pump already, it'll be worth looking at the fuel pump relay and fuel filter next. Both cheap and easy to change and a couple of the obvious things to rule out next

EDIT: just presuming it has an electric fuel pump............ didnt realise it was so old!

If I remember rightly, that has has a mechanical fuel pump, carburetor and electronic ignition and nothing more fancy. Could you just verify that please.
Assuming that the above is correct;
Have you taken the fuel supply of the carb and turned the engine over to check the supply?
Have you checked for a spark at the plug?
Is the ignition timing correct?
Does it have compression?
You need three things to make an engine run, fuel, Ignition and compression. You need to make sure you have them all, if you do it should be possible to get it going.

Sponsored Links
might be a stupid suggestion but check the ht leads are in the right order. my bro bought an old fiesta, changed the plugs and did a basic service, then it wouldnt start, even aa man couldnt figure it. it would sometimes run for a few seconds but sounded like only 2 cylinders were firing, quick internet search found that he had put the leads in the wrong order.

Is this a 1500cc (E15s) Engine? If so, it will probably have a points system on it,have the points and condenser been changed ?

;)

Is there a little "thimble"fuel filter in the carb inlet?
Had similar symptoms to you on a mk1 astra,found the filter full of crud,cleaned it and all ok.
Another thing to consider,is that the carb float may be stuck in the "up" position,so keeping fuel out of the carb.

"Another thing to consider,is that the carb float may be stuck in the "up" position,so keeping fuel out of the carb."

I think the carb on that car should have a little glass window on the side, so that the fuel level can in the carb can be checked.

Well it definitely seems to be a fuel issue

Cant find any trace of fuel going to the carb

changed the fuel filter to a clear one

Now when the ignition is turning over, i can see the fuel slowly moving up the filter, but it never gets high enough to travel down the next pipe.

So, now not sure why, have checked everything for blockages

Try taking the pipe of the carb, crank the engine and make sure the fuel is being pumped properly.

I have turned it over with the fuel line to the carb off, and no petrol comes out

Thing is i have replaced the fuel pump already

Is the fuel line clear, can you blow back through it or suck the fuel up? Be careful if you're going to suck it, a length of clear plastic pipe attached to the end of fuel line is helpful if you're going to do that. Just because the pump's been replaced doesn't mean it's ok, I'd check it all the same.

Sponsored Links
Back