Atmos or Intergas

• Thread starter Brightonguy
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brightonguy

Hi, I am considering fitting an Atmos or Intergas combi because of the reputation for reliability of these combis. Does anyone know if a service agent is around the Brighton area? Also, will companies take these boilers on a maintenance contract?

ta.

Sponsored Links
Atmos is a re-branded Intergas so they are the same boiler.

You have GMB plumbing and Heating and DJ plumbing and heating in Brighton posibly others now.

Alternatively is Melvin Cox a good guy in Worthing.

No reason they shouldn't take them on a service contract.

If your an RGI get access to the CC, every other post is about Intergas.

Thanks. It seems parts and service is not problem then. Intergas is talked about so does that mean they are good? I believe the Atmos has the pressure vessel on a hinge at the front and the Intergas behind the boiler. On the Intergas can pipe be run behind the boiler in the mounting frame.

Do both have weather compensation?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan. It is best to have an inline scale reducer? The magnetic type? Will Brighton scale cake up an Atmos/intergas quickly?

Those inline things are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Scale is the Achilles heel of this boiler, but effective treatment is required for all boilers so it a rather moot point.

Running the heating down low like I suggested should be fine. We have installed hundreds in London and the home counties and the ones setup thus have been fine. Those left on factory default settings have scaled up after a few years.

I see. DHW siting in the heater exchanger can scale up because of high CH temperatures?

I suppose slightly large rads will mean a lower running temperature as well. The weather, can this be set so that 65C is the maximum?

The slope for the weather sensor is very easy to adjust.

What is best for your home will depend on the type of building you have.

Make sure you eliminate as many draughts as possible.

One point between the two "makes". The Atmos has a front mounted pressures vessel on a hinge, which is a great idea as it takes minutes to change. The Intergas has its vessel on a frame behind the boiler, which is obviously more difficult to change. Does the Intergas frame allow pipes to be behind the combi to easy connect when pipe are dropping from the ceiling above? Running pipe around the combi and up to the connections would be a pain and ugly, while neatly putting them behind would make life and looks easier.

The Atmos boiler is the older version of the Intergas.

The mounting jog for the Intergas is not a requirement - you can fit the vessel remotely.

You might be able to get a good deal on the Atmos as they only have a few left - the only real downside - apart from the physical size - is the 2 year warranty compared to a 5 year on the Intergas (when fitted by an approved installer).

You can buy the Intergas from Atmos too though ;).

A decent installer will find ways of running the pipes up the back without the mounting frame ;).

Dan, thanks. Of course using unitstrut will take the boiler off the wall and allow pipes behind, which is time, etc. But will the mounting frame allow running of pipes behind the boiler on the Intergas? Having a separate pressure vessel is not an option here.

Why is the front hinged pressure vessel dropped? Such a great idea.

More points.
Does the Intergas have an integral filling loop?
Does the Intergas have an integral auto by-pass valve?

Just an observation. I have the impression that the hinged Atmos pressure vessel can be fitted to an Intergas.

ta.

You can run the pipes IIRC, but it takes a little care and thought on the part of the installer.

The internal expansion vessel was removed to allow the flue to run up the front instead of the back of the boiler. This aids future servicing. The new version of the boiler is also shorter which would have meant fatter vessels needed.

There are no internal filling loops (not a bad thing).
No bypass valve internally (not a bad thing).

You can not fit the vessel inside the Intergas. The flue is where it would go, the case isn't cut for the bracket, the vessel is too long, and it would be illegal even if all of the above weren't a factor.

These are all issues for the installer to worry about though, not you.

Tanks Dan. Just another point. Can the Intergas be easily zoned off for upstairs and downstairs? Any major or minor issues? I prefer two zone valves not the 3-way efforts. I do not want wall stats as rad vales are all around. I just want two clocks in the cupboard the combi being fit.

It is zoned the same as any other boiler.

However not having room thermostats of bonkers.

The trvs do not shut the boiler off and will cause short cycling.

You should discuss this with your installer as it is part of the building regulations.

A room stat is always required to ensure the boiler turns off when all the TRVs have closed odd.

As stated its required in Building Regs as well as being more sensible as well to avoid wasting fuel.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back