Attach catenary wire to an H beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't strictly electrics but you guys will know the answer!

I am trying to run some CAT5e above a suspended ceiling (15m run). I was going down the route of catenary wire, attaching eyebolts at each end and supporting wires along the length attached to the concrete ceiling. There are several H beams running across my path and I figured it would be much easier if I could directly clamp / clip onto these beams to attach the catenary wire.

I also have a couple of other runs to do that could clip directly to the beam all the way along. Again, I just need some way to suspend something off of the beam.

I assume something to do this exists but can't work out what or where to get it. I found H beam clamps which are a C shape and have a bolt running through it but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to attach anything to it!

Can someone recommend the best course of action here?

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
About 30 years ago I used horse shoe magnets on the under side of I beams as a temporary way to support a run of telephone cables. They were still there and still supporting the cables 7 years ago.

Today the hazard of the magnet detaching and falling may prevent this quick fix being used.

Sponsored Links
Thing is the cat cable has no catenary support, so it isn't self supporting.

Then if you use catenary pigtails, the cat cable will be abused since it reall shouldn't have the strains that wrapping it round will make.

Could you not set up a run of girder clips or brackets that sit off any existing tray work and lightly cable tie?

The other solution would be cable tie fixings, an sds drill and fix along ceiling structure above the false ceiling?

Glad to see you don't intend to just layover the false ceiling which seems the normal approach by the easy job type installer.

Thing is the cat cable has no catenary support, so it isn't self supporting.
That's why he's talking about a catenary wire to which he's going to fix the data cable.

As ricicle says, Britclips are his friend here. Just be aware that they do different sizes of clips to fit different thicknesses of flange - it's important to get the right size, trying to use a too-small clip tends to result in them pinging away into the darkness and/or hammer/thumb contact.

I see, I had thought the OP was going to treat the cat cable like a BT drop wire which wouldn't be a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back