Downlights won't fit -wire system??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a very old house, complete with a few quirky rennovations. One room has exposed beams and a very low ceiling. We wanted to install downlights, but apparently there isn't enough space between the ceiling and the floor of the upper storey to for them to fit in properly.

If I had been able to fit down lights I would have had about 8 or 9 seperate lights. Would a wire-system work? I don't really want rows of wire between, or on, the beams. Could the wire be suspended from the beams in a square shape?

Thanks,

Anna :)

Sponsored Links
We have a very old house, complete with a few quirky rennovations. One room has exposed beams and a very low ceiling. We wanted to install downlights, but apparently there isn't enough space between the ceiling and the floor of the upper storey to for them to fit in properly.

If I had been able to fit down lights I would have had about 8 or 9 seperate lights. Would a wire-system work? I don't really want rows of wire between, or on, the beams. Could the wire be suspended from the beams in a square shape?

Thanks,

Anna :)

Sorry Anna I am confused, if you cannot fit downlighters as per your first paragraph what question are you asking in the second?
When you say wire system - do you mean electrical cable or do you mean catenary wire to have lights strung across the room?

I didn't know the term 'catenary wire', but that's the one I mean, yep :D

I have very little idea of how these kinds of systems work, so not even sure if they can be fixed to a ceiling in any other way than a taut straight line...

Downlights WOULD have been perfect if they could have been installed. We have a pendant light in place already that is far too dim. I don't fancy clunky spotlights between the beams...

It seems to me that anything small and bright (ie halogen) needs to come with some kind of large transformers as part of their fitting. Am I right in thinking that with a catenary wire, there would only be one of these boxes for the whole lot of lights?

Cheers :)

midgie33
Have you seen the lights you would like to use on the internet?
The ones instead of the downlights, if so could you give us a link to them, then might be able to advise you better.

Sponsored Links
She means something like this: http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/Ceiling/track-lighting-sytems/Low-voltage-wire-systems/

You can add fixing posts and zig zag the lights all over the place.

Personally i think they look cack. One major problem that you'll have, Midgie, is that they are powered from a biscuit tin sized transformer (see link). This will probably have to be mounted where your existing light is situated - in the middle of the ceiling? Very nice that will look....not!

Transformer box in the middle of the ceiling does sound cack.

Could the box not be fixed onto the wall? We've already got lighting wiring there for wall lights.... or is that TOTALLY different?! :)

You could put the tranny where one of the wall lights is.

What would you do with the wiring for the other wall lights?

That website said:
Performance LED Spotlight ... LED Spotlight ... Technical 12v Wire Spotlight ... Tension Wire QRB Spot ...
They are called spotlights, because that's what they do - they light spots. Or produce spots of lights - take your pick.

What they don't do is a good job of lighting up the room - they are in fact designed to specifically not light up rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back