Downlight wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Currently wiring some downlights and am going to use Ashley J501 junction boxes. The new lights are going into a suspended ceiling and the current fitting is a ceiling rose in the original ceiling. I was planning on keeping the ceiling rose and taking a feed from it to all of the Ashley boxes. Should flex or T&E be used to go from the junction boxes to the fittings?

Regards[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is the ashley box being used as a maintenance free one? As the 501 does not comply to this standard.

The terminals on the 501 are screwed, so flex would be okay. On some push fit terminals, stranded flex does not grip sufficiently.

All of the Ashley boxes would be accessible by removing the fitting from the ceiling and reaching up. Would it comply if I took a feed from the ceiling rose down to the first ashley box and onto the other boxes with T&E and then onto the downlights with flex? I also think that these boxes can be left lying in the ceiling as they have strain relief?
Thanks

If the ceiling rose is going to become inaccessible when suspended ceiling is constructed. then an MF junction/joint should be formed at the ceiling rose.
The requirements state that the joint should be accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, so provisions for that are essential.
In regards to the method and cable used from the ceiling rose point, twin and earth can be used to the J501s and then flex to the downlights.
It it quite common for the junctions made for downlights to be laid unfixed, as this allows for ease of accessibility.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back