Downlighters fitted from below, no access from above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace one main light [ceiling rose] in my kitchen with 6 mains downlighters. The floor above is not really accessible without moving carpets and furniture in 3 rooms and a hall [major disruption]! Has anyone any experience of how you wire up downlighters where you cannot access from the floor above and therefore have to fit them from below in the void between floors? Do you cut wire channels in the ceiling to link the downlighters up?

Sponsored Links
i saw this in my mate's house. What they had to do was cut a notch in the plasterboard/laths+plaster under each joist and notch the joist for the cable. Then nail a bit of board up to patch and replaster the entire ceiling. Probably cheapest to get that furniture moved! ;)

Ideally route cables paralell to joists, using bamboo to fish from one hole to the next. Then lift only 1 board for the drilling of joists. Notching is a bad idea, from either side, as it is easy to unwittingly weaken the joist.
You will need to move the carpet, but maybe only down one edge?

only one way to do this job, move all the furniture. sorry about that.

but you will get better satifactio from the job, have a job properly done, and also be able to see any pipes etc that may be in the way

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back