Led downlights in flat with concrete floors - fire rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering fitting led downlights to the ceiling of a purpose built flat with concrete floors I.e the flat above has a slab of concrete separating it from the one below.

The ceiling void is only about 55mm so I'm a bit limited on which downlights will fit; is it ok to use non fire rated ones in the circumstance, since the flats are separated by concrete slabs?

Sponsored Links
Is the ceiling itself a fire barrier? This usually can be determined if it is double sheets of 12.5mm plasterboard, or a specific fire plasterboard such as ‘Fireline’. This is usually a pink colour.
If the ceiling is a fire barrier then you MUST maintain the integrity of the ceiling by using fire-rated fittings.

Last edited:
Is the ceiling itself a fire barrier? This usually can be determined if it is double sheets of 2.5mm plasterboard, a specific fire plasterboard such as ‘Fireline’.
I don't know how these things work, but I find it hard to believe that the ceiling would count as a fire barrier, since it seems unlikely that some plasterboard (and I doubt that you actually meant 2.5mm, did you?) would add much to the fire resistance afforded by a concrete ceiling/floor.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That’s the trouble with iPhone typing. I did, of course, mean 12.5mm. Have corrected my post.
Yes, needless to say, I knew what you meant. However, I still doubt (although do not know) that there is a need/requirement to install a plasterboard fire barrier below a concrete barrier.

Kind Regards, John

I’m not a construction expert, but it may depend on where the designer has placed any fire restraint barriers. They may be (for example) intumescent collars where services pass through the concrete layer, or these may be at the plasterboard ceiling layer.
It needs proper investigation. IMO if the ceiling has been installed as a fire barrier, then it’s integrity must be maintained after it’s been turned into a Swiss cheese profile.

Agree, the fire barrier should be confirmed, after Grenfell this topic of compartmentalisation is more in people's minds than ever.
I agree it's likely to be the concrete, but checking the edges would be advisable.

It needs proper investigation. IMO if the ceiling has been installed as a fire barrier, then it’s integrity must be maintained after it’s been turned into a Swiss cheese profile.
Agreed. I suppose what I've been saying is that I doubt (although obviously don't know) that the ceiling has been installed as a fire barrier. For services to pass through the concrete without proper intumescent sealing and, instead, to rely on plasterboard below to maintain fire resistance would seem (at least to me!) a little on the crazy side!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back