Attaching a gate to a concrete post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some more help please. I have concrete posts between my fence panels. I want to fix the hinge side of the gate to the house and the latch and bolt side to the concrete post.

What is the best way of solving this problem as i do not believe i can drill/screw into the concrete.

Mike

Sponsored Links
You can indeed drill them. I would be tempted to drill through the post in at least two places and use thru bolts to attach timber, from which you can hang your gate. They can shatter if not careful, so use a small drill bit first, then gradually a bigger one. That way you'll probably slide past any re-bar within. Only done it once, mind, but it worked. other might have more info, so watch this space.

If you use a timber strip that is a close fit in the groove of the concrete post, you will only need a couple of screws to pull the strip into the slot. Then any opening/closing stresses will be taken by the slot.

Put a couple of washers under the heads of the screws, since it will be the movement of the screws against the concrete that will cause wear and chipping.

the reinforcing bars will be near the corners of the post.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned above, some slotted posted have pre-drill holes, if so, you could use rawlplugs or nut/bolt the timber in the slot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back