Attaching a WC cisten to a cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a problem as the wall plugs 10x50s are for solid wall construction and I can't find anything this size for cavity walls

It's to late to fit supporting stud work behind as it has already been tiled

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Spring toggles are probably OK but you will need a large tile drill as they usually need around a 12mm hole to get the folded wings thro'.

Spring toggles are probably OK but you will need a large tile drill as they usually need around a 12mm hole to get the folded wings thro'.

Not a problem, I have an 18mm tile bit..

Wall is 8mm tile + 3mm adhesive behind + 18mm wbp ply, then a cavity

Here is a picture of the fixing that came with the basin. It is screw thread one end and metric thread the other. Toggles look to work with metric thread but will they work with the screw part? I'm guessing no

I guess I could buy M10 toggles that come with the thread and then slide this nut onto it + the plastic bushing, which seems more logical... the problem being although I can find M10 toggles with thread.. I can't get them anywhere locally. The largest I can find in most stores is M6 and then it's only internet who has them .. which means ordering + waiting a few days.

This is a problem as the wall plugs 10x50s are for solid wall construction and I can't find anything this size for cavity walls
Cavity walls have 2 solid leafs.

It's to late to fit supporting stud work behind as it has already been tiled
Who planned that?

I did. That's why its ****ed. My first time doing a bathroom and of course was bound to forget something crucial. A toilet cistern also needs fitting in the same way to the basin so I need to make sure whatever I use is strong enough and will last

Sponsored Links
The walls are 18mm ply? I thought we were talking about plasterboard. Those screws that you show should hold OK in 18mm ply as long as the pilot hole is'n't too big.

Spring toggles wouldn't be any good anyway - they resist pulling out, not rotating under a shear load. Which those screws might do anyway with only 18mm of ply round them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back