Creating a Cavity wall from a Single Brick Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All this a first post so go easy with me.

The house that i am currently purchasing is a 1965 build which has a single brick construction for its entrance hall and utility room.
When we got our survey back it was advised that this was made into cavity walls to avoid cold and condensation problems.
As we aim to change this area round somewhat as well (add a downstairs loo) we thought that its best the we divide the area with stud partitions.
Is it at all possible to use a stud wall as the second wall to create a cavity to the original single brick construction?
From what i gather a cavity wall needs to run down into the foundations at the same level as the exterior wall. Am i going to get damp problems by using a stud wall on top of the concrete floor which currently exists as the moisture in the cavity has no where to escape!

Hope this is not a stupid question and that you can all understand the problem.

Cheers
DITribe

Sponsored Links
Ask your surveyor why it has to be a cavity wall, and why can't you use any other method.

All you need to do is dry-line it, and add some suitalbe insulation to the inside face of the wall. The wall witll then perform the same as a cavity wall.

You don't need a cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back