Attaching banister hand rail to the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the handrail of the upstairs banister. The previous ranch style was screwed to a piece of wood which in turn was attached to a stud wall next to the bedroom door. The new hand rail, supported by spindles, will need to be fixed to the wall. I'd prefer not to use a half newel and have it supported IN the wall. My problem is that it's a stud wall. Any suggestions as to what might be done? (We'll be having some patch plastering done in other places in the hall
IMG_3230[1].JPG
.)

Sponsored Links
Can't immediately think of a solution except the one you want to avoid.

Blup

Last edited:
Possibly remove some of the plaster board put a new noggin in so your brew banister goes into the wall and rests on it you can then screw the two together.

Reinste the board and patch plaster

How much room to play with is there?
Get a bit of steel plate and fit it to the handrail end so that the metal plate can be screwed to the wall. Then plaster over. You could use a repair plate and get one with holes in it to help the skim take

Or something like a kitchen cabinet slide on fixing

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. We managed to do it by attaching a block of support wood inside the wall to the door frame and inner plasterboard frame. Obviously we had to have it patch plastered. Attaching a photo, not quite finished as we have to do the door frame.
upload_2018-7-3_11-45-23.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back