Advice required on replacement landing banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm doing some house renovation work and want to remove the existing blockwork landing banister for a similar designed Burbidge stair banister/spindles.

I've drilled out and removed the old blockwork to open up the landing. Having done that I've noticed something a bit odd and wanted your advice. The top of the staircase that usually (I believe) hangs on the first floor landing to support the staircase, appears to be present on the right side but is missing on the left side.
Does this mean my staircase could be unsafe? I'm assuming that the piece of wood that runs the full length of the stairs is actually screwed into the wall so this bit of wood at the top is not needed.
For the one that is still present on the right side, I am assuming that this is still required as it the wood thar runs the length of the stairs is not supported by a wall (apart from at very top).
So if I rebuild a new open newel, banister spindles etc matching on both left and right sides there should be no issues caused by the lack of wood bit on the left side.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20150724_164001.jpg
    20150724_164001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 20150724_164046.jpg
    20150724_164046.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
Bit confused about your post. Looks to me like both strings are present?

Sorry. I guess they are bad photos.
the string of the left side is cut so the top of it is missing. I.e. it doesnt go above floorboard level and hang on top.

The right side string you may be able to see is higher than floorboard level and hangs on (although there appears to be a small gap between it and the floor board so I'm not sure that its supportive anyway)

Sponsored Links
The top of your strings (or stringers) have been notched to hang over the landing. The left hand "hook" has been sawn off.
But, as you said, the left hand string is pinned to that left hand wall.
Behind the top riser there might also be a hanging board fixed to a floor joist and the top of the flight? Or, maybe the top riser is pinned to the joist? Either way should secure the flight.

There are, typically, supporting walls or partitions (spandrel) below the flight strings - if you have interfered with or removed these supporting "walls" then call in a joiner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back