What to do in this situation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of renovating our stairs....removing old boxed-in banister with newels, spindles and handrails.

Stairs go up to a mini-landing, turn to the right, go up again, then go along the landing. The problem I'm having is visualising what happens with the two newel posts on the first turn...
IMG_20171127_195745362_HDR.jpg
There's barely space for two posts but I could squeeze them in with a tiny length of hand rail between them, but I think it'd look rubbish. Double-width post? Ideas?

Sponsored Links
stairs.jpg

distance between outside of each string is 270mm (green lines)....wife likes 115mm newels. Not clear just now how to integrate the newels with what I've got, but I'm assuming those strings will lie just inside the edge of the newels, so the answer to your question would be something like 50mm

Sponsored Links
Look for a handrail that has a return option (90 degree bend) and see if that'll work with the newel post in the centre of the mini landing.

Edit: or you could set the newel to one side, have one handrail going straight into it, and the other one returns out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh thats clever.......i'll go and seek one out, thanks

However, there are multiple angles at work, what with the change of direction and angle going on, so not sure if I can wrap my head around those!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back