attaching heating cables on copper roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to attach a heating cable in our gutters and on our sloping copper roof to prevent an ice build up which happens every winter. Although the roofer welded nice loops for us to thread the cable through....it is too small to allow either end of the cable through. So my question is "Can we use those plactic cable ties to hold it in place or will the heat from the cable melt it? And also, will those plastic ties withstand very cold Canadian temperatures?" Or is there another solution we haven't thought of?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How about using metal wire twisted through the loop and around the wire?

Or metal cable ties?

We also thought of using wire but someone told us you couldn't do that for some reason or another.

plastic cable ties should be ok, I doubt the heating cable would get hot enough to melt them.

Sponsored Links
Your description is a bit vague. Without the specs on the product, the best I can say is.

If you are trying to heat the whole roof from below zero , to above zero. You will need a shedload of power. Is that what you are actually trying to do?
Just take the insulation out of your loft, let the house heat rise and that might do it.

If you are talking about trace heating on the gutters, then the heater cable must be in full contact with the guttering. Hanging it off on brackets will not do the job.

Trace heaters are low power low temp +4C devices. They must be in full contact with the surface to be heated. Any fixings can be of the same material as the trace heater insulation. Or of greater thermal value.

Mike :?:

Back