Ceiling stains - best fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster here and sorry this is a bit of a long one.

We have rusty reddish coloured marks coming through on a bedroom ceiling, in the corner nearest to the guttering. See photo.
IMG-20210227-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20210227-WA0015.jpg
PXL_20210227_163125608.jpg IMG-20210227-WA0015.jpg View attachment 224606

The same thing happened in May last year and the roofer we used fixed it by installing new lead flashings along the edge of our roof which adjoins next door's wall (terraced house, next door's has been extended upwards so our roof adjoins a wall rather than their roof). Again I've added a photo, plus a "before" photo.
PXL_20210227_163125608.jpg

The same stains are now reappearing. No response from the original roofer. I've had a couple of roofers round who have confirmed the original roofer's work is good, but obviously it doesn't fix the problem.

The 2 solutions offered by the other roofers are:

1) the stain is caused by water filtering through old, soft brick on a wall adjoining the 2 properties (this being the piece of wall which sticks out a bit in the photo), so a fix is to apply a coping stone to the top of that wall so that rainwater doesn't filter through the wall. No price yet.

2) the guttering is too short and also a small hole is near the guttering, so add more guttering and patch up the hole. £150.

I find that every roofer I ask comes up with a different solution so it's really difficult to know what to do. We once had a leak and ended up getting 7 quotes because the first 3 all came up with different solutions. Help! Any ideas?

TheLette

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-155454~2.png
    Screenshot_20210226-155454~2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Coping stones on that short length of wallhead wouldn't do any harm, if the moisture is penetrating the brickwork you could consider getting it rendered.

Thanks so 2 votes for the coping stone solution + 1 vote for gutter too.

What I don't understand is why is the problem suddenly happening? Wall has been like that forever, leak only came through last year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back