Attaching Trimmer / wall plate to wall for joists to hang off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Build has been progressing well since initial concerns with foundations, and brickwork is now up to roof level.

Just wanted to check a couple of things on the ground and first floor fixing methods.

Both floors are using timber trimmers / wall plates, with joist hangers for the joists.

The method of fixing the trimmers/wall plates to the walls is 110mm * 75mm concrete screws with T30 heads. I read a lot of stuff about resin, M10 and M12 bolts, coach bolts, through bolts and a lot of other stuff, but not much about concrete screws being used for this kind of work. Which makes me a bit nervous.

They're set at approx 400mm centres and offset alternatively above and below the centre line.

The walls on one side are solid concrete block (not the aerated kind the builder has deliberately put in a row of solid blocks at the right height for the first floor, all other courses are aerated), and on the other solid brick (original 60's house, no frog or airspaces making them very heavy in comparison to modern brick).

Should this be ok?

Secondly he has used screws not square twist nails on the joist hangers. I understand that screws are more likely to sheer through, but a structural engineer friend has said should be ok for domestic loads. Any differing opinions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back