attaching upper kitchen cupboard unit to stramit wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically just wondering how to attach a kitchen cupboard unit to a wall that is filled with stramit (straw). Anybody had any experience with this stuff?

thanks

Sponsored Links
How many cupboards - can you not fit a rail between the studs and hang the cupboards off that?

agree

s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

the rail is available in lengths up to 3 metres from places that sell kitchen fittings. You can put plenty of screws in (preferably into studs or firm wall) and it is strong and rigid, even if the place your cabinet hanger has to go is a weak spot. It's the same section as those little two-inch pieces packed with the hangers.

it is a drilled zinc-plated steel strip, shaped for rigidity and to fit the ordinary hooked adjustable hangers. Another advantage is that if you want to reposition your cabinets later, or add new ones of different size, no more drilling is needed. I've run it all round my kitchen. It's above eye level (I use the 900mm wall cabs) but it helps to paint it to match the wall, before fitting. Also helps to get everything horizontal and height-aligned.

thanks for the suggestions, It's one 800mm cabinet
I know there are no studs in the section of wall the unit will sit (the electrician ran in a channel for cables with no studs showing)
the rail looks just whats required & we'll try and back it up with a piece of plywood to spread the load over as wide an area as possible.

cheers

Sponsored Links
A guy i used to work with installed this stuff in the 80s and said the radiators and wall units were hung using normal brown plugs.
The stramit boards quite comfortably held the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back