Kitchen cupboards over sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a new kitchen and considering running full height wall cupboards over the sink which is in the middle of a wall.

I had this in a kitchen years ago and don't remember banging my head on them.

Options:

gap in cupboards - loses storage space, increases cost as have to use decor end panels

bridge unit - these only come in 600 or 900 mm to go over cookers. To maintain alignment with base units needs 900 base unit and decor panels. The only 900 base unit is a pan drawer system which costs about twice a normal base unit cost. Two x 600 base units below sink awkward to fit and 1200 mm is too much to have as sink unit.

continue wall cupboards 1000 mm wall and base units are cheap. No decor panels needed. Continuous horizontal run of cupboards looks neat. Maximum storage. Will have lights underneath so sink and worktop won't be in shadow.

Very rough image attached.

Capture.JPG

I know having cupboards over the sink is usually avoided but can anyone think of any problems?

Sponsored Links
As above and those lights are going to be much more likely to get splashed/steam from the sink.
Also as someone that constantly bangs my head on the blinking cooker hood, I would as NO NO NO but it's your kitchen.

Actually I can't see any reason why you should not do it, in fact it seems like a good idea. I'm 6"4" & I don't have to bend that far over the sink when using it. The lights being splashed might be a problem but not if you use LED's. Plus the fact you could easily remove the unit over the sink if you do in fact find it's a problem as long you have enough tiles ( presuming you are tiling above the work top) to fill in the gap. I'm also presuming you are going to use 300mm deep wall units.
May be just your sketch but you can't have a gas hob as close to an opening window as it appears to be. Something else you need to consider anyway.

Sponsored Links
May be just your sketch but you can't have a gas hob as close to an opening window as it appears to be. Something else you need to consider anyway.

It's an electric hob and there will be about 300 mm clearance between the edge of the oven housing unit and the window reveal. (Less the space for the pipework in the corner, more because the hob is slightly narrower than the housing.)

Also the worktop stops short of the window full width (not visible in drawing) so will be possible to open window without leaning over worktop. Another reason for not having the sink there as it's an upstairs flat and kneeling in the sink to lean out of the window to clean it is awkward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back