Attatching concrete fence post to house and more ......

S

sentinal73

Hi all,

I would like to replace the fence where i live. Its a semi detatched property. I am leaving the concrete posts that are already in place there, but where the house is attatached to the neighbours, there is a 1 meter wall which was part of a canopy belonging to my hosue. The wall isnt attached to the hosue at all, so i was planning on knocking this down and putting up a new concrete fence post and panel.

At ground level all around the house, there is rendering which is about a foot high.At a guess, this is no more than 1cm thick.

What would be the best way to attach a fence post to the house, especially with the rendering in place?

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Sponsored Links
Why do you need to fix your concrete post to the wall? The others aren't fixed to any wall.
It would be normal practice to fix a timber post, but not a concrete post.

one thing i have just thought about, near to where i was to put the concrete fence post is a drainpipe, if i was to dig down to install the fence post, then i might damage the drain ?????

Sponsored Links
Only one way to find out...... go carefully. :eek:

If you decide to use a timber post, just fix it above the rendering.

Sentinel: I had this issue at my house. I attached a length of 4" x 4" wooden post to the house by using some metal plate that was about 1" wide by about 1mm thick. I formed the metal into a right angle with about a 3" length attached to the house and the other part of the right angle was long enough to protrude past the drain pipe and onto the wooden post. I put two of these brackets on either side of the post, two screws holding each bracket to the wooden post and two screws to hold it to the house.

I made the post the length from the top of the fence to about 3" above ground level to stop it rotting at the base. When all fastened in and the fence panel attached to the post it is very sturdy and secure. It has been up over 20 years without any problems.

You will need to make sure your wall plugs go through the render and into brickwork.

You may need to create a slight step in the post side of the bracket to give it clearance around the drain pipe.

I attached a concrete post to a wall recently using raw bolts, I drilled into the post with a 8mm drill bit and into to wall with a 6mm dril bit and the raw bolt makes its own thread in the 6mm hole. Also I concreted the post into the grownd just to give it that bit extra support.

I recently tried to drill through a concrete post recently, all to no avail. It was as hard as f@@@, and that was before I reached any reinforcing steels.

How did you manage it?

I make my own H posts so I know where the steel is and I have a 36v dewalt hammer drill and it went through the post quite easy, better than most other hammer drils I have had. But when putting the steal in H posts they normaly use spacers so if you aim for the middle there should be no steel.

Cheers. I was trying to drill about 100mm from the top. I wanted to attach a piece of steel to attach a washing line to.

i put a fence post on to a wall which was used for a gate to close against, it was a 6 foot post 4" square and i put 4 anchor bolts through it and into the house wall, with the gate being 3foot wide and slamming against the post it did start to loosen a little bit so i took it off and bought a tube of anchorfix (which is a bit like a silicone tube) i squirted some in each of the holes and some down the length of the post and now it doesnt rock or move at all, i also used it to secure reinforcing bar into a stone wall so i could hang another gate, and it worked a dream
the only thing i would say if using anchorfix is because its a 2pac it goes off quickly so i ended up wasting about half a tube, so make sure you have everything ready to go before starting to use it product was something along the lines of these

www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/resins/cat840122

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back