Attempt to de-sludge microbore system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am helping a friend to drain down his microbore central heating system, I am told it is just a normal unvented heat only boiler (have not seen it yet), flush each rad in the garden then add sentinel x800. Leave running hot for ? long, flush and add inhibitor.

Then he explained he had these twin entry rad valves under the microbore system www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/system_basics.htm

I have not seen these before, they look a complete nightmare.

Does the sludge get caught up in these, especially with that long thin pipe going into the radiator. I assume their are manifolds around the house as well and I'm not sure if I'm going to help him do more harm than good. Any advice greatly appreciated. He should repipe, but that is not feasible at the moment!
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
You're not wrong about those valves, they are a nightmare :( sometimes the injector pipe comes adrift & then you get no flow through the rad.
If the system is nice & clean they should work ok but if you have the opportunity to get shot of them I would.
It wouldn't be hard to convert to a twin valve set up with the addition of a bit of 8mm pipe, a couple of elbows & some new valves when you have the rads off for flushing.

If the system is suffering from sludge I wonder if sentinel x400 may be a better choice.
http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/detail/central-heating/liquids/x400-system-restorer/

Cheers.

Thanks for that.
That's really what he has been complaining about, rads have been dropping off slowly over the last few months. Perhaps a good clean of these valves may prolong the life of this system for a bit longer.

Was not sure which sentinel to use, but being that I am only helping, I did not want to suggest the more agressive slugde remover, which is acidic. His system is 25 years old and I was hoping not to start having problems with the acid eating in to all week spots creating leeks all over the place.

This was your typical chat down the pub 'you don't want to do it that way, you want to do it ........' starting to regret my words :)

Thanks for that.
That's really what he has been complaining about, rads have been dropping off slowly over the last few months. Perhaps a good clean of these valves may prolong the life of this system for a bit longer.

Was not sure which sentinel to use, but being that I am only helping, I did not want to suggest the more agressive slugde remover, which is acidic. His system is 25 years old and I was hoping not to start having problems with the acid eating in to all week spots creating leeks all over the place.

This was your typical chat down the pub 'you don't want to do it that way, you want to do it ........' starting to regret my words :)

I have had my hands covered in black sludge from all types of systems mate.
But NONE and i mean NONE have been as dirty as when i changed these type of Rad valve to normal.

Sponsored Links
Aye I know that feeling :D

X400 is none acidic.

Taken from the Sentinel site
"The product is not aggressive and can be safely left in the system for extended periods."

Personally I wouldn't take the rads off to flush them with the intention of putting them back on with those valves, if they were off I would change the valves, if that meant leaving it as is until new valves could be fitted I would leave it.

Cheers.

x800 is far better than x400 too!

Good luck with the twin entry valves, if it were me i'd leave them in the back garden and put some new ones on the wall!

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back