attic condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, i have just gone up into the attic to put the xmas decs away and noticed that thers is small droplets of water on the slanting part of the roof. I assume condensation. Can you tell me is this a common thing? and should i be doing anything to combat it if it isn't. If i should what is the best thing for it?

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
look down at "Similar Topics" before they go.

Do you ever drape wet washing inside your house? Do you always use an extractor fan in the bathroom?

yes i do dry washing in the house downstairs in the hall, but do not have an extractor fan in the bathroom yet, but do have a window in there.

OK. Stop doing the one and start doing the other.

You are creating a moisture load inside your house which is greater than the ventilation can cope with.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Draping wet washing about the house makes it damp, and no-one can make a house dry if the occupiers insist on doing it. You might as well throw buckets of water over the walls.

Sponsored Links
You could use a dehumidifier to help remove the excess moisture from the air. If you have a lot of condensation on the windows with water pooling on the sills, then you could need a dehumidifier. Do you suffer with damp on walls or in corners. With poor ventilation, the moisture condenses on the cold walls and runs down. Look for damp on walls that have furniture against them. Exterior walls with wardrobes or other large pieces may have mildew at skirting level or in corners.

If, on the other hand, there is no condensation on the windows or damp on the walls, it could be that the roof space isn't sufficiently open at the soffits to allow it to breathe. It is a common mistake when insulation is put into loft spaces. It is often crammed down into the soffit, blocking the air flow through the space. The warm air rises into the roof space and condenses on the cold roof. That's how you get the moisture droplets.

All good advice here about proper ventilation and condensation.
However, I did see a roof space once which was very damp.
Turned out that the well meaning owner had insulated himself from the "nasty draughts" coming under the tiles and thus killed all ventilation up there. We added some vents and all was well in a couple of weeks.

All good advice here about proper ventilation and condensation.
However, I did see a roof space once which was very damp.
Turned out that the well meaning owner had insulated himself from the "nasty draughts" coming under the tiles and thus killed all ventilation up there. We added some vents and all was well in a couple of weeks.

Hi all.
have read all the comments on here and was hoping for some advice. I never had condensation problems until 3 years ago when the next door neighbour blocked up the small gap between the two houses in the attic (I'm end of terrace). Since then, there has been cronic condensation. We're talking almost hundreds of golf ball size drops everywhere. A roofer put in 2 'mushroom' plastic vents, cut large holes under them in the felt and we gave it ago. Again, once the frost came it was back. A new roof, an additional 4 plastic vents and there's no difference. Two roofers have said there's nothing else that can be done as the wind is whistling up there.

I have a downstairs bathroom with fan as in the kitchen. I don't place damp clothing anywhere, have the loft insolated to the tips (no eaves as it is an old 1851 house). Under advice from another roofer, we made a hole in the outside wall where the chimney was and placed a grill over it for more air-flow. That didn't help. I don't have the central heating on a lot but no longer have a fire (this was named as a possible cause as no heat rises through the chimney anymore).

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this? I need a coat on in this weather as it is so cold up there. I recently bought a humidifier and placed that up there and its 3 litre tank is full every 5 days but the drops are no better. They cover every part of the felt even upto and around the plastic air-vents. Again, this only happened when the dividing wall between myself and my neighbour was blocked (he has a bedroom up there now which I think maybe the problem as his heat comes through the bricks).

TIA,
James

Subotai, I am not a roofer, but has your neighbour made any other changes inside their house?

Sounds like they have installed a sauna!

Hi there, i have just gone up into the attic to put the xmas decs away and noticed that thers is small droplets of water on the slanting part of the roof. I assume condensation. Can you tell me is this a common thing? and should i be doing anything to combat it if it isn't. If i should what is the best thing for it?

Can anyone help?

I rekon your neighbour is growing weed!

Do you have loft floor insulation? Has your neighbour added any insulation? It could be that your heat is not rising sufficiently into the loft area and therefore drying it out.

Can anyone help?

I rekon your neighbour is growing weed!

I reckon by now that after six years her roof will have rotted away if she hasn't solved the problem. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back