Attic flooring over extruding joist bridges

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I'm looking to start to floor my attic for extra spacing. I've noticed that the house has a lot of bridges between each joist. The issue is a lot of them are higher. Some are a few mm, but others are 10-20cm above the joist. I've. Included a photo below.

What is the best way to get round this? I don't want to raise the floor as its a big area an the stilts and rails will be very expensive, plus it's only an area for storage not living in.

Cutting them will be fun at the angle plus the amount of them (they are 5 rows all the way down the full length) and the insulation was added before I started.

I had thought about trying to rotate them, but know will prob cause a lot of plaster board nails underneath to go leaving a lot of ceiling to patch up.

Any ideas on how to speed this up would be welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190608_122948.jpg
    20190608_122948.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Lay / Cut the new loft board flooring around them.
OK, a trip hazard but it's a loft for storage.

Just lazy obviously knowing attic trusses was gonna be converted at a latter date either plane the tops off or remove and replace

Just lazy obviously knowing attic trusses was gonna be converted at a latter date either plane the tops off or remove and replace
Yea was a lazy finish. Would u just use a large plainer to get them down? Or would you saw them off?

Sponsored Links
If you mean the noggins, just trim with a multitool or a recip saw.

Screw (nailing and too much vibration can crack the plaster board joints) 2 x 1 roofing laths on top of the joists and floor onto those. Sawing those flush will be a nightmare and a slow job with a multitool and not much better with a recip - planing them will be very messy. The longer you spend up there on your hands and knees the more likely it becomes you'll stick a foot through the ceiling or get sore knees

Screw (nailing and too much vibration can crack the plaster board joints) 2 x 1 roofing laths on top of the joists and floor onto those. Sawing those flush will be a nightmare and a slow job with a multitool and not much better with a recip - planing them will be very messy. The longer you spend up there on your hands and knees the more likely it becomes you'll stick a foot through the ceiling or get sore knees
Are you talking about laying those on each joist the direction of the joints? Or over the top of them going direction the boards would be going?

Either way that's a lot of wood for the area

Direction of the joists I would imagine.
That’s what I would do, it’s not actually much wood as you would get 48 strips 8 feet long for the same parox weight of a sheet of ply.
quick to add as well, it just needs a couple of pins to hold each strip in place and the boards would screw through them.

Direction of the joists I would imagine.
That’s what I would do, it’s not actually much wood as you would get 48 strips 8 feet long for the same parox weight of a sheet of ply.
quick to add as well, it just needs a couple of pins to hold each strip in place and the boards would screw through them.
Ok I would need x64 4.8m lengths.

I would also need to peal back a layer of insulation as one roll is laced over the top of the joists.

Are you talking about laying those on each joist the direction of the joints? Or over the top of them going direction the boards would be going?
Yes. In the direction of the joists

Either way that's a lot of wood for the area
It's 2 x 1 slate lath, which is about the cheapest timber section you can buy. Bear in mind you stated 5 rows which is an awful lot of trimming in a poor working environment

I would also need to peal back a layer of insulation as one roll is laced over the top of the joists.
Yes, but you will surely have to do that to get at all those noggins or place the boards, won't you? And if you have more than a few noggins to do, as is implied, the risk of injuring yourself or putting a foot through or whatever is a real risk.

So why don't you try planing a bit off one and try modifying another bit with a multitool. You can then gauge the amount of work involved working across noggins in a loft space and maybe some of the pitfalls

Or perhaps as this is just for storage board just up to one side of the line of noggins, then start boarding again at the other. If the noggins are in more of less straight lines you won't lose that much usable floor space

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back