attic framing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all typical 4 in a block flat and i would like to plasterboard this and was looking for help on how to achieve this. it currently has 5x1 supports and i was thinking of plating these with 3x2 cls, or remove the old and put new 3x2 cls or what would you do ?Thanks IMG_0943.JPGIMG_0942.JPG

Sponsored Links
They look more like hangers holding up the ceiling joists, rather than supporting the rafters.

If they are nailed to the sides, as they appear to be, then they would normally be hangers. I can't imagine why they would be there otherwise.

Working out the spans of the ceiling joists compared to their size may confirm if they needed the extra support.

Sponsored Links
Joist span is around 4-6m depending on the room layout below onto top of brick walls with 6x2 joists. These hangers are nailed onto the sides of both rafters and joists IMG_0947.jpeg

Standard roof construction of an older property. You could remove one at a time to level them up or leave them and use new timber to build a new stud wall.

Standard roof construction of an older property. You could remove one at a time to level them up or leave them and use new timber to build a new stud wall.
Thanks that’s all I wanted to hear I wanted some wider wood to screw onto for the plasterboard, so are they hangers or supports, also I know not to remove more than one till it’s been replaced.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back