Vapour barrier or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Renovating old cottage with 2' stone walls, cement rendering. Joiner has timber framed the internal walls with 3x2 cls and 50mm celotex has been placed within. Aluminium tape will be used to seal any gaps in frame.There is an air gap between rear of cls and walls. A friend who is a keen diyer has suggested that I will need a vapour barrier at rear of timber framing. Is this necessary. Not a disaster if needed but thought joiner would have suggested it before putting timber frame up. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Sponsored Links
No, no, no, going from the inside to the outside, the layers in a wall should be more and more breathable. This is to insure that any moisture /condensation that occurs in the wall can evaporate outwards. The VCL should be places as close to the inside as possible, i.e. under the plasterboard.
Frank

Thanks Frank, was worried about the effect of moisture on the wooden frame though?

Phil

The battens should be tanalised so should be OK. I have a Yorkshire limestone cottage and suffer the with same problems. Have to go now back later!
Frank

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back