Auction house commission

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone on here go to auctions, or bid online at auction houses-not eBay? Been doing auctions for years, bit of fun, but also you can pick up a bargain. Bidding online usually adds a bit more to the buyers premium, but one I looked at today seems to be extracting the urine. Rates were generally around 15% plus vat, some higher, some lower but they've all started creeping up, but 38.4% inc vat is a joke.

Sponsored Links
I've dipped my toe in from time to time but never paid more than 17% - I don't find anything amusing about 38%. Taking the P. indeed.

15% + vat, usually, when I went.
In the good ol days there would be half a dozen people in the room sometimes. Now families go and take the dog. HOTH was the worst thing that ever happened!

Sponsored Links
we watched one - Wed/Thur - locally - one item we were considering , from the website - BUT when we went to the viewing - not as expected from photo and pretty poor and not really worth bidding on, ending up going for £700 !!!!!
The buyer prem was 24% including VAT - commission or present bid, on line was another 5.9%

Which is cheaper then a auction house we went to pre covid
Buyers - 25% + VAT + £5 a day storage costs if not picked up on day - cant seem to find the internet bidding additional price
But sellers was 15% + vat + an insurance fee 1.5% , internet/marketing £15 - and when we talked about a specific item, there was also a minimum charge.... cant remember

The Antiques Roadtrip was way before Dion does Houses - much better, too.
I always keep an eye out for Moorecroft but my eyes are always bigger than my wallet.

Last thing I bought in a non eBay auction was my house - 1% was the fee I think..

I class most auctioneers amongst the bottom feeders of society.

I class most auctioneers amongst the bottom feeders of society.
Then you wouldn't be interested in bidding for a new window to enhance Dork Towers?

A rare stained glass window of St Margaret of Antioch by Pre-Raphaelite and Arts and Crafts luminary Sir Edward Burne-Jones is coming to auction in Tennants Auctioneers’ 20th Century Design Sale on 4th March with an estimate of £15,000-20,000 plus buyer’s premium. As the vast majority of Burne-Jones’ stained glass windows remain in their original buildings, it is extremely rare to see an example of his work coming onto the open market.

@Tennants.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Back