Audi A3 buying advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Motties sister is selling her 2017 A3 sportsback S Line black edition. 34,000 miles with full main dealer service history. I believe it’s got the 1.4 150bhp cylinder on demand engine. If we want it, we can have it for the WBAC valuation do not paying over the odds.

I haven’t had any dealings with these but I wonder if anyone on here has had any dealings with the COD engine? Any weak links in them - I don’t even know if they have a timing belt or a chain that is known for stretching as on some other models. John @Burnerman, have you had any dealings with them?

Sponsored Links
Ask Mottie, he's an MOT tester, I'm sure he can help you.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Am I funny?

Andy
The last car I tested was one of my own and that was in November 2019 just before the MOT station was sold for housing development!

Seriously thinking about getting the A3. Been thinking about getting rid of the Evoque for a while now. Seems silly that Mrs Mottie is going to work and picking up our grandson in a 13 year old Diesel Golf while the Evoque is used every day.....just to take the dog out! It’s minging, always caked in mud, inside and out and smells like a dog kennel. If ever we go out in it, it takes a days cleaning and Mrs Mottie has always been too embarrassed to give anyone a lift in it because (a) It stinks and (b) It’s an Evoque!

My plan would be to buy the Audi which will be for Mrs Mottie to use and keep clean, get rid of the Evoque and use the Golf for dog duties. The Audi does look nice.

615F64E4-DB73-4738-A921-B61550AA7A86.jpeg

The Evoque usually looks like this. :oops: In fact, it’s a lot cleaner in this photo than it has been for the last few weeks!

29629881-F585-4EF1-92DF-F494B9F04EE9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've driven a Q3 with this engine, and I have to say - to me at least -- the transition between two and four cylinders was undetectable.
As per all of the VW petrol plants, the oil consumption can be from zero to one hell of a lot but other than that they are reliable and I've not heard anything about reliability issues with the cylinder on demand.
I've looked at a camshaft for one and was astounded as to how complex they are! The reduction on fuel consumption is remarkable for what appears to be a 700cc twin most of the time.
The engine started with a timing chain but I believe they are belted now.
The A3 is one of the best cars out there, in my opinion.
John :)

Back