Got a leak on my A3. Pump or housing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Mottie had to turn back on her trip to work this morning as she got a warning light/buzzer that the coolant was low. She's left it with me and taken the Golf. There was some coolant on the under tray and I noticed some water pooling around the water pump area. It’s done just under 60k so I’m going to replace the pump and belt anyway but I'm wondering if it’s common that the plastic pump/thermostat housing gives any problem on these engines - I know it used to be common on a lot of Ford plastic thermostat housings for example. There’s a vast difference in the price of a pump and the price of a pump with the housing (or 'coolant regulator' as they call it!) - roughly £80 v £270. Has anybody experienced or heard of problems with the housing on these engines? 2017 1.4 TFSI.

@Burnerman

IMG_0485.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've had the plastic impeller come off on these but the only leaks I've seen come from the pump gland.
A new pump may have the quick warm up system - whereby the impeller is shrouded until the car warms a little and then the shroud retracts courtesy of another pump within the pump - if you get my drift......quite a performance!
Hell of a price difference too, but I tend to use the original temperature sensor which is extra.
I'm only commenting on the diesel here......the thermostat housing may well be different.
Good luck with it - it looks like the job has decided to come your way early!
John :)

Good luck with it - it looks like the job has decided to come your way early!
It is recommended that the pump is changed when the timing belt is replaced at 5 years. I always do that if required and I changed the timing belt kit about this time last year but never bothered with the pump and pump belt as its on the other side of the engine so even if the pump or pump belt goes, there’s no damage to valves etc as it’s nothing to do with that side of things. Oh well, some you win, some you lose. Fingers crossed it’s just the pump.

There has been a recent announcement regarding timing belt intervals from vw thats worth seeking out, they have increased the times dramatically.
Personally id still aim for around 5 years.

Sponsored Links
There has been a recent announcement regarding timing belt intervals from vw thats worth seeking out, they have increased the times dramatically.
Personally id still aim for around 5 years.
The same engine coming off of the same production line but dropped into a LHD vehicle for sale in Europe has a recommended replacement interval of 10 years. It is the importer, VW U.K. that specifies the 5 year interval.

The mileage interval for the 1.6cr engine is 115k miles, and no particular age interval.
I changed on on a SEAT Leon last summer, fully expecting the belt to be in shreds. Apart from it being a bit floppy it looked just fine! The serpentine belt needed changing at 80k however.
Personally I’d say 80k and 5 years would be about right.
John

Ordered an OE pump, complete with housing and a pump belt from Audi. Probably 30-40 quid more expensive than makes that I've never heard of. Just over £200 for the lot so a no brainer really. Picking it up tomorrow.

Back