Audi A4 instrument cluster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who knows about Audi`s :)

A mate of mine has an Audi A4 B6 2001 - 2004, with the ignition off the speedo & rev counter needles jitter/vibrate slightly, when the engine is on/car in motion the gauges do not work nor does most of the dash!

Any ideas on this one? is it new or refurb instrument cluster time??

Sponsored Links
Not often you ask for advice mate!
Have you checked out BBA- reman in the popular faults section?
Personally I think its a new binnacle needed :(
John :)

Hi John!

Yeah not too often but I was hoping someone would jump in and say Yeah this is a common problem and this will sort it lol :D

I don`t want to say to him go buy and get coded in a new cluster then it still does the same :( knowing my luck thats what will happen lol!

Just had a look at the BAA site! Very useful :) They can recon the original cluster for £135!

How often have we all been down that road.... :p
The trick is to not own up, and swear that the binnacle had a definite fault too :D
BBA are helpful over the phone so it could be worth a call.
Lets know what happens.
John :)

Sponsored Links
as said you may require a new cluster,but i would say you need some who has access to vag-tacho to read the faults etc and maybe see whats been messed up within it.

Dont forget the immobiliser is in the dash cluster so once removed no moving the car
When i worked there (BBA) it was not a common fault but this was 2+yrs now

Hi,

The self test should bring something up in VAG tool or did you get it plugged in yet? Do a wiggle test on the looms it could be a bad earth to one of the many ECM's. Any new toys wired in recently, if so disconnect. Any lights not working, taillights, trailer plug etc?

You could try an old fashioned reset at the battery. Disconnect overnight

Are all the warning light on the dash working (no) as they should, especially for the indicators. VAG had a fault with the power supply to the Gateway box from the Drivetrain CAN to the Convenience/Infotainment CAN. May not be the fault on your motor, but just keep it in mind. It wont throw up a fault code. The Gateway is in/behind the instrument panel, not sure if it comes with the recon unit.

Its a hard one to solve, especially if the owner is looking over your shoulder.

Sponsored Links
Back