Audi A4 new engine or just cylinder head?

What an idiot I am.
Leads were connected to the wrong plugs. I assumed the longest lead went to plug on cylinder 1 as it was the furthest away and the shorter one to cylinder 2, despite the numbers being written on the leads.
Now I have the problem that the immobiliser is tripped. The car started and immediately shut down. I over came this by disconnecting the battery and shorting the live and neutral, then reattach to the battery and it starts and runs sweet. But on turning the engine off and trying to restart the same immobilizer problem occured again.
Could be a that this solution is not permanent. Will try the other key I have tommorrow.
Anyone know if there is a way around this without getting someone in to reset the computer or what ever they would have to do?

Sponsored Links
Can't help with the immobiliser mate - will have to wait until the other 2 come along - but I think you deserve a pat on the back for the work you have done.....and as for the plug lead issue, believe me we've all been down that road!
John :)

Are you getting the flashing key symbol on the dash?

Often with the Audis the wire from the immbolizer coil on the ignition barrel to the ECU is very tight and can become frayed or seperated. I would check that. It could be the coil is faulty as well.

The immbolizer is actually contained in the instrument cluster so check the connections to that if you can.

Other than that do you know someone who can scan it, preferably with VCDS as it will probably be a manufactorer specific code? It might just be that the key needs reprogramming to the ECU.

To do this you need VCDS again but also the Secret Key Code, this may have come with your car although most got lost, without it you will have to go to main dealer, or a good audi specilaist as they have to connect to Audi's server in Germany. You might be able to get an auto locksmith to do it as they maybe able to read the SKC from the ECU. I believe some software called VAG-Commander can read it but it is very expensive.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, VCDS is a VAG specific diagnostics tool. It is surprisingly cheap, you can get a freeware version for nothing and use it with a cable off Fleabay for about a tenner.

You can then register this version which unlocks even more features. Or if you want the best verison that works on all cars including the moden ones then you can buy a cable and software which costs approx £200-£250 (depending on exchange rate). Compare that to the Snap-On scanners which cost thousands.

I am not sure if your car would work with the Ebay cables though due to the age. Would have to check with the seller first.

I don't know what an auto locksmith will charge I'm affraid. They will need to be able to check the fault codes as well because it might not be something they can fix.

Great work to get her up and running.

The plug leads thing goes back along time, we've all done that. Easy mistake to make and you had so much work on the head the leads were way down the list.

You will enjoy getting the Immobilizer sorted now that she's running? Try leaving the leads joined overnight. You may have a fault in the key? No easy way round it that I know off, as its the main defense against vehicle theft.

Happy Days are here again :p

Wouldnt it be great if a big car manufacturer went back to basics and produced a good reliable car without all the computers, gizzmos, special tools etc, that is easy to work on using standard tools. Designed for people who dont mind pottering around in the garage/drive for a few days.

Wouldnt it be great if a big car manufacturer went back to basics and produced a good reliable car without all the computers, gizzmos, special tools etc, that is easy to work on using standard tools. Designed for people who dont mind pottering around in the garage/drive for a few days.

Stay away from VAG cars if you want that!!! :D

The number of special tools required drives me mad.

Even the LEGO sets now have computers.

Poor Santa, all that warranty

hi,i have just had the same failier,im sure that your head will most probaly be fine,and the pistons probaly survived this also,if you can just replace the valves,clean everthing well,but you must deflate the hydrolic cam followers before reassembly,its easy to do,just tap follower on its base on flat hard srface,hydrolic valve will drop out from under follower, you can then deflate follower valve by gently pressing up ball valve in center releasing oil , you must carry out this opparation so that the newly installed valves dont open to far initally and touch each other,this whole job is not difficult but you must take your time and be patient,please ask if you get stuck,john

my appologies,you have now got it going,beter luck than i,i have a broken tentioner pad found whilst reassembly,does any one have a spare???? ill willingly pay plus post,happy new year,john.

my appologies,you have now got it going,beter luck than i,i have a broken tentioner pad found whilst reassembly,does any one have a spare???? ill willingly pay plus post,happy new year,john.

Yes John got it sorted now and the car is running better than ever. It used to hesitate on accelerating away and the idle was erratic for a few seconds after stopping. Thought it was the something to do with the fuel system but looks like it was the related to the timing, maybe a few of the teeth were off the belt or something before the whole thing went.

The only problem I have now is this immobilizer thing. Audi wants £54 to reprogram the keys. I have got round the problem for the time being by simply disconnecing battery and shorting the leads together. On reconnecting the battery the car starts. Its a bit of a pain but I dont have a spare £50 at the moment.

Yes john those tensioner pads look like they are just plastic. Im suprised they dont wear out really quick with that chain running over the top of them.

Sponsored Links
Back