audi pearlescent paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Audi has a light blue pearlescent finish, in a small area it appears that the top laquer has blistered off, about 4 square inches. It has revelaed the duller under colour coat. How can i sort this please

Regards

Sponsored Links
If you have limited experience using auto paint and the repair is high up on the vehicle (easily visible), best to get a quote from a small independent body shop. They will refinish the complete panel, so if its the front wing they will refinished the wing.

If you want to do it yourself something like this might help (just examples)

Jump to 4 minutes in on this one for the top coat application

You will need to flatted the damaged topcoat (lacquer) using find sandpaper, but you must not cut through the colour coat to the grey primer. Not easy, usually something like 600 or 1000 grit paper will do the trick. In my opinion do not use a sander, do it by hand. If you can feel it rough under your fingers then it needs more preparation. Then using clear coat in a spray gun or aerosol apply light coats until blended in to the panel. Experienced guys that are not refinishing all the time find this type of "blowing in" hard, so as a DIYer don't expect it to be an easy fix.

how old is your audi?does it have full history?
reason i ask is if it does you may have a slim chance of getting the work done at the dealers??

Sponsored Links
Paintwork is an art, as suggested its best left to the professionals. I would guess the whole panel will need to be re painted.

Back