Auto Bypass valve needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner has a Heatline Viso plus 24 combi boiler together with a fully sealed heating system. There are TRV's on most of the 9 rads except the rad next to the room thermostat in the hall.

Looking at the plumbing on the boiler I can see that there is a connection between the 22mm heating outlet and inlet pipes. The connection is 15mm and has a tap in the middle but no auto bypass valve. This tap is cracked open slightly presumably to allow any excess pressure to bleed off.

IM wondering whether I should fit an auto bypass valve and what benefit it would bring? Alternately is it acceptable to keep the 15mm tap in place slightly cracked open?

All info welcome.

Sponsored Links
No. In fact you can close the valve.
There is the radiator in the hall to act as a by pass should all the trv's close.

If the system has and is working correctly then leave it as is.
you could fit a auto bypass if youwould like to bring up to date.

Don't turn off the bypass tap and rely on the radiator as a bypass. There
could be big probllems if you do this and could damage the boiler or pump
if the rad vale is turned off (easily done).

It states clearly in the heatline instructions that it is not acceptable to use a
rad as a bypass.

Sponsored Links
Thank all, will leave as is for now with the tap cracked open slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back