Boiler bypass valve, TRV's and other questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advise on fitting TRV's and a boiler bypass valve to my central heating system.

My heating setup is as follows:-
- Heatline Viso 24 Plus combi boiler
- 4 rads upstairs no TRV's fitted
- 5 rads downstairs no TRV's fitted
- a room thermostat in the room next to the boiler
- no boiler bypass fitted although there is a tap between the heating outlet and return

This years heating bill has been huge so I want to introduce better control to the system. My plan is to add TRV's to all the rads but not to the one on the rad where the room thermostat is.

I have a couple of questions I need advise on:-
- do I need to fit an automatic boiler bypass valve? Currently there is a tap fitted which is mostly closed. If I leave out one TRV will this be sufficient to act as a bypass?

- one of the bedrooms is distant from the other rooms and often the rad struggles to get warm. IM guessing its the lack of TRV's on the other rads which is causing the lackof warmth or could it be another issue?

The boiler controls are crude, can any one recommend an alternative to the 24 hour analog boiler programmer and room thermostat? I believe some kind of digital room thermostat could be used to control both the boiler on/off and room temp, but which type and how to wire it in ?

All info welcome.

Sponsored Links
Proper balancing should solve the rad output problem.

You should have an auto bypass but it will still work without one.

A digital 7 day programmable thermostat will be your best option as long as you use it sensibly.

To reduce heating costs you need to improve the insulation!

Tony

Thanks Tony, do you have any suggestions for how the current bypass tap should be set? Can I turn it off completley or should it be slightly open?

A non auto bypass is not recommended!

If you are too mean to replace it with the correct part then open it so that there is just a tiny flow!

Tony

Sponsored Links
They are only about £15 to buy and he is saving on labour costs by fitting his own TRVs so draining the system and all he needs to do is to connect it in place of the existing bypass valve.

If he wants to improve his system then in my view he should do it properly!

Tony

More insulation.
Thicks curtains.
Wool carpets
Switch radiators off to rooms you aren't using.
Turn the boiler down so it is only supplying enough heat that keeps
the rooms warm turn it up as the weather gets colder.
Turn your wall thermostat down and wear a jumper.
No running around in shorts and a T shirt.

They are only about £15 to buy and he is saving on labour costs by fitting his own TRVs so draining the system and all he needs to do is to connect it in place of the existing bypass valve.

If he wants to improve his system then in my view he should do it properly!

Tony

That would have been better than to infer meanness!

Thanks for the replies chaps, IM happy to fit a bypass valve but was uncertain as to its function and whether the existing setup was OK. Looks like a new bypass valve will be added to the shopping list!

Does anyone have a recommendaton for decent TRV's? I have seen some for sale in Toolstation made by Tower for £5.50 and wondered if they were any good or whether I should spend more?

Make sure you buy a cheap one that still uses a liquid filled sensor. Most cheap ones are wax stats and take ages to respond.

I have used the cheaper one from Screwfix without any problems.

But generally I prefer to use the Drayton TRV 4 for my customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back