Automatic boiler fails to ignit intermittantly and randomly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly let me say ... I DO NOT intend attempting to rectify this fault myself - I fully intend to get in a professional to deal with this but would like some input as to what may be causing the issue so that I am prepared and understand anything a plumber may say to me :)

The issue is this:

I have a Potteron Prima F automatic boiler (no pilot light).

What happens is that intermittently and randomly, the boiler will not light but gas will continue to be pumped through the boiler and out the exhaust.

I hear the boiler "prime" as it normally does (3 or 4 times) then when the flame should ignite, nothing happens but the gas continues to be pumped.

If I power off the boiler at the electric switch wait a few moments the power it back on, the next time it need to light it appears to light without issue.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
What happens is that intermittently and randomly, the boiler will not light but gas will continue to be pumped through the boiler and out the exhaust.

whatever it is you shouldnt be using it till its fixed the appliance is dangerous
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Could just be the HT lead is sparking to the wrong place so not lighting - cheaper than a pcb!
It's probably only pilot flame gas which is escaping, but would still be dangerous after a few mis-ignitions. Stop using the boiler immediately.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input ... I intend to have someone out to look at it asap.

Can anybody recommend anyone? I live in Worcester Park - KT4

Well, I have I suppose to admit to being in KT3 !
My email is in my profile if the mod deletes it:
When the day started I only had my own bathroom to sort out. Before I read this post I had 4 other jobs!

I wish I knew why mod feels it necessary to delete an email address. Megalomaniac I suppose?

If it's written
me at isp dot co dot uk
email harvesters won't get it.

MOD

if i dont take it out chris
you then get see item 14
left it till it was seen ;)

ChrisR said:
Well, I have I suppose to admit to being in KT3 !
My email is in my profile if the mod deletes it:
When the day started I only had my own bathroom to sort out. Before I read this post I had 4 other jobs!

Just a quick follow up post to my boiler issue...

ChrisR (who lives locally to me) came around and sorted it out for me. He replaced a PCB and now the boiler lights first time every time whereas before it would make 3/4 attempts to light. I thought this was the boiler priming or something as it had always done that since we moved into the property. But then what do I know about boilers? Nothing!

He was capable, professional and courteous and I'd recommend his services to anyone ... if you're looking for a dependable CORGI in the KT3/4 area give him a shout

Glad your boiler was sorted out nice and quickly.

There is no logical reason for any MOD to delete an email address at all. That seems to be an unfortunate feature which detracts from this site. If the email address is coded as "chris at bt dot com" then there is no harvesting possible and in any case if anyone posts his email address then he has no fear of any spam. I dont!

There is a new gas installers forum just opened where that will not happen, in fact its intended to be friendly to the users and does not have Megalomaniac Mods.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back