Automatic By Pass Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Automatic By Pass valve model SBV22 by SUNVIC.
I am trying to find a simple way to calibrate setting so that it opens when
two ports valves in s-plan systems are shut (no heating or hot water)
and minimum flow when any of the heating or hot water is on.

The method described is quite complicated such as to set 20% above the
normal pressure when working so this does not open premature.

I find difficult how you would determine these setting figures.

I saw an other Auto by pass in Srewfix and that comes already set at 2 bar and the setting can be varied.

Is 2 bar a nominal value ?

Sponsored Links
Generally an open vented system will run around the .5 bar and a sealed system hot about 1.5 to 2 bar.

Pete

Generally an open vented system will run around the .5 bar and a sealed system hot about 1.5 to 2 bar.

I'm not sure how this would relate to a bypass valve, as your average 15-50 pump only produces a differential of 0.5 bar on maximum setting.

I set mine using the unscientific method. First I set the bypass valve to maximum (ie, shut), and turned the boiler stat right down. Then I put the system onto pump overrun, and slowly turned the valve down until there was flow through it - the sound changes as flow begins. With the boiler stat back up you can check by feeling the pipes for heat.

I have an Automatic By Pass valve model SBV22 by SUNVIC.
I am trying to find a simple way to calibrate setting
Allow heating to cool down
Set ABV to max (7)
Turn on heating with all TRVs and zone valves open.
Adjust the ABV until you can just feel the pipe after the ABV getting warm.
Turn the valve back slightly so it closes

Sponsored Links
That's the easy way DH, and good enough in most domestics.

Everything on full with the by-pass closed, then open the bypass slowly until you feel a flow through it, turn it back one full turn.

Job sorted.

Everything on full with the by-pass closed, then open the bypass slowly until you feel a flow through it, turn it back one full turn.
The Sunvic is only one turn from open to closed!

bypass.jpg

I would recommend a better way to set it by closing all except TWO of the TRVs and then adjusting the ABV until it just starts to allow a small flow through it as evidenced by the outlet getting warm.

Then leave it in that position!

Turning back one turn is very hit and miss. Particularly if the valve only has one turn!

Tony

Honeywell's instructions are to close all rad valves, turn the ABV until it just starts to pass hot water, then turn back 1/2 a notch.

I more often than not find it ends up set at about 3.5.

Right, I've always used the AVDO
Which is the only one where the instructions distinguish between a bypass used to maintain the minimum circulation through the boiler (left picture) and one used to limit the differential pressure across the radiator circuit (right picture).

Pete

Your pumps are better than mine mate.
The very best I can achieve under optimum circumstances is about 0.4 bar on a sealed system, which is the same as open vent by the way.

Forget about all the numbers as they are not important.

Easy way to go about is to turn the resistance to way more than needed.
Stop the flow by closing all valves, or any other way you fancy, start the pump, slowly lower the resistance on your bypass until it opens. Now go about 0.2 below that.

Repeat process at annual service to assure proper working is maintained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back