Automatic updates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running xp and updates are downloaded automatically but I'm always able to review the updates before installing. I've got a BB connection and it has taken a long time to download the latest one so it must be big. What is different is that when I click on the icon to install I get this panel displayed instead of the usual one that lets me preview the content of the update. Could this be the SP2 and MS want me to install it without me knowing beforehand?
1-picture2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes probably, click on custom, and take it from there. SP2 is between 80 and 250 Mb in size, it is recommended but comes with potential problems, see my post on XP SP2

Thanks Eddie, I clicked on custom and got this panel. It is SP2 and it does look like MS want us to click 'install' rather than offer us to review updates first.
I had already read your post on SP2 and you've put me off for the time being, my system works fine as it is. I'll wait for any more posts from yourself to say you recommend installing it. You're a good guy to know Eddie, so thanks.
1-picture3.jpg

We're doing a big trial starting this week, I'll let you know the results. BTW, if your interested, SP2 has already been compromised :(

Sponsored Links
Ok, trial over, verdict, not guilty. XP SP2 seems OK, of course this cannot be read as it won't do anything bad to your machine, 'cos well, it's your machine. But on balance from what I've seen it doesn't seem to cause too many problems. Perhaps the main thing is that if you currently use Microsoft Instant messenger, then this won't work anymore. It can of course be re-enabled, but perhaps one to watch out for. Happy upgrading, also if you don't have broadband, buy a PC mag like PC Pro, they will have a CD with the Service pack on it.

Good luck :D

The express install will also let you review the updates before installing.

The only problem I have encountered relates to the professional version and a badly names dll.

I agree with Ed re. the download. Even with BB it takes a while and then there's the install time...ZZzzz.

I have been trialing, on Win98SE BrdBnd, Firefox now Ver 1.0 and Opera Ver 7.6(beta) browsers.
I am no expert but I find both of them excellent .... I believe they have very few vulnerabilities.
If any one feels a little concerned about 'messing up the system' then do not worry, neither 'take over' in any way and sit quite happily beside IE6 etc.
IE is required for M$ auto / by tool updates.

Opera is the mighty one where almost every facet may be tuned to the user's desire, just about the fastest too.
Firefox is lighter in weight but has a nice feel to it ... both work fine with web banking etc and it would appear are pretty secure.
Since starting to use both I have had no spyware or glitches.
Some sites do not open correctly, not many, It is said that the sites themselves are to blame not the software ... ?
Both have excellent download managers ... especially Opera, with resume download etc ... useful if link lost before complete.
P

Sponsored Links
Back