Awful Adsl signal - internal/ extension wiring issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

basically a mates house has an adsl problem, he is getting a speed of 30kb

so i changed filter no effect

i then unscrewed the face plate (NT5) an plugged into the test socket - he got a speed of 5mb !! so the prob is obviously internally

i noticed that who ever installed the alarm (it has a dialler) has just twisted wires onto the blue & blue/white attached to the face plate.

removing the alarm wire increased the download speed by 300kb but still no where near 5mb when going direct to the test socket

i found one slave socket in the next room that had the bell wire connected, i removed the bell wire but there was no effect on the download speed - i then totally disconnected this slave socket but still no effect on the download speed

is it a case of tracing the sockets around the house to find them all & disconnect them one by one to find the source of interference etc?

im kinda stuck for ideas

thanks

Sponsored Links
Internal home telephone wiring and its connections are often adequate for telephones but not ADSL.
Pukka has shown an excellent method of separating the existing phone circuits at the incoming NTE5 position and providing complete filtering at the one point. This is a neat solution.
Having checked that the ADSL is satisfactory when connected via that adapted front plate, to the router, then there is an opportunity to extend the ADSL circuit from the back of the adapter to a connection point wherever it is wished to position the router. Proper telephone or Cat 5 cable is required (Not alarm cable.)

cheers all i will buy a filtered face plate

i totally missed that the extensions on the idc's on the faceplate are not in a filter!!

so buying a filtered faceplate will hopefully help loads!!!

for the alarm i will just buy a crimp on "BT" plug from maplin an shove it into the "phone" socket on the front of the faceplate

thanks all

Sponsored Links
Best to fit the alarm connection into the back IDC connectors of the face plate or an extension socket, as it discourages anyone from forgetfully disconnecting the alarm. (And saves the cost of a crimp :D )

Best to fit the alarm connection into the back IDC connectors of the face plate or an extension socket, as it discourages anyone from forgetfully disconnecting the alarm. (And saves the cost of a crimp :D )
DUAL POST ERROR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back