awkward spot for plastering/finishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builders have refused to plaster or make this spot good as it's inaccessible.
Can someone please suggest how this can be done and what product I should use? I would prefer not to remove and replace the spindles if at all possible.

I did try a regular filler with a filler knife but struggling...

Attachments

• WP_20161223_17_49_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161223_17_49_01_Pro.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 228
  • WP_20161223_17_48_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161223_17_48_54_Pro.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
Any professional trademan would not turn down a job,they would tell the customer that there is alot of work involved in that repair/job and the cost involved.Sounds like your builder wants to take the easy route or does not no how to sort.Using the correct tool and product for the job it can be done.

Handyman is right, its a pain in the ass but can be done. If the trowel doesnt fit then a radiator trowel or similar could be used.

Its obviously going to be very hard to sand so using finish will give a better result than trying to use easi-sand or other fillers.

If you need a new angle bead on the bottom edge it becomes a very very annoying job.

Are there any other plasters that you can call to see if they can do the job. I know you don't want to take out the spindles, but there's only about 7 that need to be removed; start at the top spindle and remove the piece of wood at the upper part, then take the spindles out as you go. You'll have maybe 2 bits of wood at best that need replacing.

Sponsored Links
I'd be really tempted (assuming the finish is going to be painted) to get some thin MDF (dunno if you can get 4mm, 6mm would be stiffer but not sure you have the depth), cut it to size (extend it far enough so it can be plastered up to), paint it then gripfill it to the plasterboard & fill round any gaps bottom and top.
It is a horrible bit to try and finish to- I'll end up with a similar section in the House of Pain & that's my plan

Although my situation wan't quite what oldbutnot dead said ,

I had a similar problem but not with spindles in the way. I did as he suggested and cut thin mdf to fit and grip filled it to hide the face where the downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor becomes apparent as you descend the stairs. Because of fitting new stairs, the original facing was in a terrible condition.

I also grip filled some small 1/2 round beading as trim to hide the seams and make it look deliberate

Thanks all. Very helpful. I will suggest the radiator trowel approach at the first instance.

My grandad put ply on ours, with a bit of trim it looks pretty good.
image.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back