Finishing Plastered Ceilings With Stone Walls ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cottage, which has exposed stone walls inside. My problem is, how to finish the plaster against the stone neatly around the ceiling? Because of the unevenness of the stone, the plasterboard has of course left gaps right around.

Filling the gaps doesn't really look possible with regular filler - some gaps are really quite big.

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions to such an unusual problem?
PwcoC1m.jpg

WO2JfzT.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Some of the gaps around the stone are pretty big - I'm not sure how it could have been plastered straight up to the stone. Even if it had been, surely a bit of expansion/contraction would eventually have caused such pieces to break loose?

Are there any other alternatives for my situation?

Stuff the gaps with whatever you deem suitable (scrim, expanding foam, polystyrene etc). Then plaster over (or more likely filler at this stage). There's no trick to it.

Sponsored Links
Some of the gaps are pretty wide. It's not going to be that practical to stuff such uneven gaps around all the ceilings in this way, especially considering it's going against just a 12mm thick board on the one side. I thought maybe there was some other solution. Perhaps a coving with a thick, straight edge that would go against the wall, that could then be filled.

No, not overboard - a brand new ceiling, where he did a terrible job of matching it to the shape of the stone.

It looks pretty similar to a ceiling/wall meeting recently plastered in our home.
I did scribe the edge of the board to the stonework, but still had gaps to fill.
I'd agree with this myself:
Stuff the gaps with whatever you deem suitable (scrim, expanding foam, polystyrene etc). Then plaster over (or more likely filler at this stage). There's no trick to it.
It is a shame that those gaps weren't filled between boarding and plastering.
Is there batten behind the boarding you can push filling up to?

I'm intrigued to know what the plasterer's plan was to deal with this?

I find it hard to believe the original ceiling came down that low ,one of the things I can suggest is use something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/nemesis-fire-rated-hybrid-sealant-white-290ml/5501p I've been on many jobs where all the gaps had to be sealed with something similar "before " plastering and jointing although it's main purpose was for fire regs it done a good job of filling the joints

Last edited:
Yeah, had he done a better job at boarding, things would be so much easier now. Some are really quite big, so it's going to be tricky to fill. Nothing behind the boarding except the joists.

The original plasterer didn't have a plan. He did a crude finish, where as a different plasterer who worked downstairs did a much closer and neater job.

What do you mean by the ceiling coming down that low? I pulled the original ceiling down and then the new one was boarded direct to the joists above. That fire rated sealant looks good, but too expensive at £7/290ml - I have to do the whole house, or at least the whole of the upstairs.

Yeah, had he done a better job at boarding, things would be so much easier now. Some are really quite big, so it's going to be tricky to fill. Nothing behind the boarding except the joists.

The original plasterer didn't have a plan. He did a crude finish, where as a different plasterer who worked downstairs did a much closer and neater job.

What do you mean by the ceiling coming down that low? I pulled the original ceiling down and then the new one was boarded direct to the joists above. That fire rated sealant looks good, but too expensive at £7/290ml - I have to do the whole house, or at least the whole of the upstairs.
im sure there are cheaper alternatives but one tube goes a fair way should be able to do a room with one tube and it covers gaps up to 30mm ,its up to you if you think it's to expensive how many you think your going to need? Get down to screw fix and get a tube see how far it goes and what finish you get if you can't manage a good finish with it then you can joint over the top that's the option I would do for sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back