Bare stone walls best approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dilema. I have walls to finish, they are mostly hacked back to the stone (sandstone), there is still some of the old render on some that is stable.

Although I have no formal training in plastering, I can do a good job but slow. Question is how to finish the walls? Applying render and plaster will be time consuming but plaster board fast. What are the advantages of one over the other that I need to consider.

One thing that puts me off the plaster board is the hollow sound when hit, makes it feel cheap and temporary.
Another question about plasterboard, would you attach direct to the stone or render the stone first? Also will dabs of an adhesive plaster do to fix it or would I need to nail or screw it on. I dont like the sound of battens as the gap it creates will addto that hollow sound?

Sponsored Links
Dot n dab,remove any dust ect from stone,thats it
Do you go into friends houses and tap the wall's? :rolleyes: :LOL:

Thanks
No just my own and it bugs me. I did part of my previous kitchen with plasterboard and didnt like it. I just stuck it on as you suggested but didnt know whether that was the right approach.

Thanks
No just my own and it bugs me. I did part of my previous kitchen with plasterboard and didnt like it. I just stuck it on as you suggested but didnt know whether that was the right approach.

I agree with you , dot and dab can be a quicker option, but not a better one if you can float and set. It is done for speed, not quality.

It has it's advantages (thermal, quick and to get over bad walls), but for hanging wall units (esp in a kitchen) shelves etc , or where there may be damp or a lot of condensation , or if it is likely to get a knock , then a solid plaster is better.

If you are sticking boards, make sure each board is sealed around the perimeter, around each switch box and plenty of dabs to fix skirting and where the units may go.

Sponsored Links
Sandstone is a porous material that often lets damp in that then travels through the dabs and shows up as damp patches on the plasterboard.

Studding is much better as you get total separation and much improved insulation. Better still fill the void with insulation.

Floating will give you very cold walls.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I will render and plaster. It will take me ages but I will feel alot happier when its done.

Do you have any idea how cold it will be in winter? You are missing a major trick here in warming up your house - and you'll probably make a mess of it anyway.

Do you have any idea how cold it will be in winter? You are missing a major trick here in warming up your house - and you'll probably make a mess of it anyway.

Thanks for that Joe. Its a terraced house so the walls directly exposed to the outside elements are on only two sides of the property and there is a conservatory/annex type thing on the back of the property covering a third of the wall. However I see your point and could compromise and plasterboard the inside of the walls that are exposed. What do you recommend as insulation? On the subject of insulation I have some stud partition walls that I would also like to insulate. Do I use the same stuff that goes in the attic or is there some special stuff for walls that acts as a sound barrier too?

Also I dont like to blow my own trumpet but I have never seen a plastering job by a so called 'professional' that was any better than mine. I may be slow, but because I'm a perfectionist and usually working on my own property I do a good job. :)

I have never seen a plastering job by a so called 'professional' that was any better than mine. I may be slow, but because I'm a perfectionist and usually working on my own property I do a good job. :)

A one armed, blind, tap dancer could achieve a good finish providing they had enough time.

But that's the whole point of hiring a pro'. Because they do it quicker.
Duh. :rolleyes:

Sandstone is a porous material that often lets damp in that then travels through the dabs and shows up as damp patches on the plasterboard.

Studding is much better as you get total separation and much improved insulation. Better still fill the void with insulation.

Floating will give you very cold walls.

Good point.

A one armed, blind, tap dancer could achieve a good finish providing they had enough time.

Plastering is an art and some people have it and others dont. Those that havent can learn how to do a good job if given enough time true enough. But theres time and theres too much time. What you are suggesting is too much time. Fortunately the skill required came quick to me. I have only plastered the equivelent of about 3 three bedroom houses and I think I probably take twice to 3 times as long as a pro would, and do an equal or better job. Thats acceptable to me.

But that's the whole point of hiring a pro'. Because they do it quicker.
Duh. :rolleyes:

Without being pedantic (alright, being pedantic then) - I can see how being one armed, and blind may hinder your plastering.

But what is it about tap dancers that would be a problem??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back