Internal Rendering of stone walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old stone terrace house with most of the internal walls hacked back to bare stone. My intention is to render these walls then apply plaster board and skim. A number of the walls are not plumb and very irregular, in some cases there looks to be a 4inch difference between different parts or the wall. If I apply render this will result in it being extremely thick in places and a few mm in others. How is this situation tackled to create a nice flat finish or would it be usual to just work with the shape of the wall and accept it is not going to be plumb or completely flat.

Sponsored Links
i think personally i'd avoid rendering a stone wall unless it was done in lime because the walls need to breathe.

as you're only after plasterboard you could consider building a stud in front of it and tacking to it moisture resistant board, this will protect your new wall from the effects of moisture and allow some breathing space for your stonework.

there was a good thread on this not so long back and more comprehensive.

Thanks for the link, very interesting. Do you think this would apply (ie need to breathe) if the outside of the wall is bare stone, hence it is exposed and moisture can evaporate from the outside as opposed to being able to evaporat from the inside?

Sponsored Links
well if you DO want it rendered then i'd recommend a lime only render, no cement, this will still allow breathing and movement.

OK I think lime render. I understand that with a lime render there has to be a lime plaster finish rather than a gypsum, is this correct?
Could I put plaster board over the lime render and also use insulating board between the lime render and plasterboard?
Last question, anyone know a good reasonably priced supplier of lime products?
Thanks for your help
Ian

is this correct? Yes.

If you use insulated plasterboard why not just batten the wall and not render it.

that was what i said marshy, bit confused, pointless rendering if you're going to stick boards up anyway.

is this correct? Yes.

If you use insulated plasterboard why not just batten the wall and not render it.

I dont like that hollow sound the wall make and the flimsiness of the plasterboard with a space behind it, just my opinion but it somehow feels cheap and temporary. My thinking is that if its up against a relatively flat render then it wount have that flimsiness and even more so with some inslation as padding.

Ive been doing a bit more investigating re the breathability of stone walls. Ive been talking to people in the area, S Wales valleys where most of the houses are stone terraces and I have found that when they have had their internal walls striped back to bare stone that cement render was used as part of the internal surface of the wall.

I am wondering whether the need for the wall to breath is an external issue and does not apply too much to internal side, as the inside of the house will be dry and not contributing water to the walls? If the main ingress of water will be from the ground and outside wall wouldnt a breathable outher surface suffice for evaporation. Does anyone have any links that looks at this from the prospective of the inner side, much of what I have read seems to be talking about the external side rather than internally.

I know what you mean I render the upstairs brick wall here before I stuck insulated plasterboard to them and it does sound better,
All I read about now is how bad it is for old places and stone built places to be sealed up with cement render, in my past I've render plenty
and never hear any bad come backs from it, but the in thing now is to let them breath,
yes you can render them with sand and cement and if done right it will never fall off, it might crack but it wont fall,
get the right sand, ( washed plastering sand ) 4&1 mix with a good waterproofer, try sovereign (blue) or one by silka,
do not let it over mix, sweep all dust from the walls, spray the wall with water just enough to damp the stone, do not have your render to stiff,
you gain nothing by try to push a stiff mix on to walls, its better to build it up in layers, you need to scratch the layers between coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back