Internal render stone walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to know what i should be using to render the internal walls of a 1904 stone house.

i have been told that i should use lime?

what is the correct mix?

Sponsored Links
There are a few options but what type of finish do you want to end up with.
Smooth, painted, Decopierre, :?:

The old lime mixes were 3/1 sand/lime for the floating coats and 1/1 lime/fine sand for the setting coat. Lime can take a long time to go off, depending on what type of lime you use. Hydraulic will go off quicker.

Sponsored Links
I used 1/1 lime/silver sand for the finish on my cottage. I found it a bit tricky to use, but i am not a plasterer by trade. I think that it will perform better than gypsum in these conditions as the damp has to breathe through and evaporate into the air.
They used to put animal hair into the thicker base render coats.

I always render ,a couple of scratch coats then final coat and then skim with no problems .The mix should be 4x1 with some optimix.

Hi all thanks for the replies but

I have hydrated lime not hydrualic and you must need some cement in the mix to make it work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back