rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to attempt to render stone walls, i have scrapped the joints and brushed them down what mix do i need to render walls. do i need any plastiser or anything else. plus the house is ove 100 years old and was advised to use lime!!!!!!!!! is this the same mix.

Sponsored Links
The mix for scrach coat should be 4-1 washed sand and NHL3.5 hydraulic lime. The finish coat should be 5-1 washed sand and NHL3.5 hydraulic lime. There is no need to use cement with this type of lime. You can use a small amount of additive if you wish.

i already have the hydrated lime, cement and builders sand, i couldnt get hydraulic lime do you know what the correct way to mix this for rendering internal walls

A 1/2/9 cement/hydrated non hydraulic lime/ sand is often used to re-point old brickwork as it allows the joints to breathe. I have used this mix to render an inglenook fireplace 6 years ago and there isn't any shrinkage cracks in it.

Sponsored Links
Dont use builders sand use washed plastering sand as builders sand has traces of clay in it. You can knock it up in a mixer but do not over mix.

Being a bricklayer I find washed sand quite difficult to work with compared to building sand.

You dont render with builders sand it tends to crack alot.You can mix washed sand and building sand and it is easy to spread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back