Stone wall prep for boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am preparing to batten and board out an old bedroom in a stone built house. 3 of the walls are internal with 1 external. The lime plaster has been removed so it is all bare stone. The walls are all over the place so dot and dab isn't really an option and I'm looking for a level finish. What preparation, if any, would you recommend for the walls before I board them in? It's been suggested that I apply browning over all the walls to help tie it all together first but I've read elsewhere that stone is best left to breath if it isn't going to be lime plastered again. Also, the wall is very dusty so another suggestion was PVA to seal it before beginning to board. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
There's lots of info on here (& on google) about similar topics in reply to similar questions.

Dont use browning or any kind of gypsum plaster.
Dont use PVA either - use SBR or similar if needed.

What you propose needs research & thinking through as there could be a number of knock-on difficulties that might arise.
Can you post photos of the interior and the exterior wall surfaces?

Have a look at my albums and you will see what I have done with my stone walls in my bedrooms in my 1870's house...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back