[b]Installing a Shower!![/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a thermostatic mixer shower in my bathroom and getting rid of the bath. I have a cold water tank in the attic and a hot water tank in the airing cupboard.

It will be easier if i explain what I am thinking on doing and hopefully someone can say yes that is right!!! or oh my god dont do that!!!!! lol :D

1. I am planning to take the cold water for the shower directly from the cold tank in the attic by installing a new outlet in the tank about 50mm from the bottom (From what I have been reading, I think this is right)

There are three pipes that are connected to the hot water tank one at the top, one about half way down the side of the tank and one towards the bottom.

2. For the hot water supply for the shower, I am going to connect new pipe work to the pipe that is connected about half way down the side of the tank.

Is this right? If it is right, is there anywhere specific where I should make the connection for the hotwater for the shower or is anwhere along that pipe ok??????

Sponsored Links
1. I am planning to take the cold water for the shower directly from the cold tank in the attic by installing a new outlet in the tank about 50mm from the bottom (From what I have been reading, I think this is right)

Yes that is fine - it should really be slightly above cold feed to ensure as the water level in the cistern drops (which it may not that much in practice) the hot supply will fail before the cold.

There are three pipes that are connected to the hot water tank one at the top, one about half way down the side of the tank and one towards the bottom.

2. For the hot water supply for the shower, I am going to connect new pipe work to the pipe that is connected about half way down the side of the tank.

Do you know what this connection was for? Another shower? A hot water return pipe connection? If it is another shower you could end up with one starving the other. If it is a hot water return pipe then no you cannot connect to it for the shower feed. What sort of 'hot tank is it- copper cylinder, rectangular tank ?

Is this right? If it is right, is there anywhere specific where I should make the connection for the hot water for the shower or is anywhere along that pipe ok?????

The pipe at the bottom is probably the cold feed from the cold water storage cistern to the cylinder.

Can you post a picture?

You are thinking along the lines of connecting the shower pipes correctly.

The tank is a copper cylinder, not too sure what the pipe half way down the side of the tank supplies, but there are no other showers in the house, so does that mean it is what you said a "hot water return pipe connection"?

If I cannot add it to the "hot water return pipe" where is the best place to attach it to?

I have tried posting a pic of the the tank and pipes coming from it but unless they are on a website I cannot post it. All the pipes are hot to the touch if that helps.

[/img]

Don't really know without further info on what you have.

Need to determine whether it is a hot water return pipe.

Has it got a pump on it?

If your property is relatively large and perhaps with a number of bathrooms then it could well be a hot water return pipe.

Sponsored Links
The property is quite small with only one bathroom.

There is a pipe that comes down from the cold water tank in the attic and enters the hot water tank at the bottom.

There is another connection half way up the side of the tank (with a motorized valve on it), this comes from the boiler, so this must be the primary flow from boiler, then there is another connection below this that also goes to the boiler so this must be the primary return.

There is a connection at the top of the tank that tees off one branch goes up to the attic and goes into the smaller feed and expansion tank, and the other branch goes down throught the floor boards (can't see where this goes yet, but will double check tonight). I am presuming this is the pipe that supplies my hotwater to my taps.

If it is, can I make the connection for the shower anywhere along this pipework or is there a prefered place to maximize the pressure going to the shower?? (I dont really want to pay out for a pump, unless I really have to).

Yes the pipe to the bottom connection is the cold feed from the cold water storage cistern.

The two pipe connections on the side are the heating flow and return to the boiler. You cannot connect into these to serve the shower.

The pipe coming out of the top of the cylinder splits. One pipe feeds the hot water outlets and the other is the safety open vent pipe which should discharge over the largest of your two cisterns - not the smallest.

You could connect into the pipe which feeds the hot water outlets but depending on the type of shower this may not work very well. Ideally you should have a separate connection to the cylinder dedicated to the shower (that is essential if the manufacturer recommends this).

A separate connection can be made using a surrey flange or an essex flange. Do a web search for these to see what they do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back