B & Q Toilet - Overflowing Into Basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard B & Q toilet, a toilet to go I think they call them. Push button on the top. The water has just started to constantly trickle into the basin, although it is not overflowing in the cistern. Occasionally more water will briefly enter the cistern to replace what is being lost. I assume that something is worn inside the mechanism somewhere and needs replacing? Thought I'd better ask before I aimlessly blunder on. Thanks!

My toilet looks very similar to this one - //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/new-toilet-cistern-overflowing.315000/

Sponsored Links
Check that the rubber seal on the bottom of the flush valve is sitting correctly in the hole. If not the valve should be adjusted down. Your instructions should tell you how to do this

Mine sometimes does this after a flush.

I even added a weight to the top to help it reposition.

Its difficult to see exactly what is wrong but it seems that part of the plastic works gets jammed.

Its not been so common lately. Usually repressing the button at top stops it.

Take the lid off . its either faulty syphon or ball valve (fill valve) .
when it does it isolate the water to it whichever way you can if the level of the cistern falls right to empty then its a faulty seating on the syphon .
If it gets to a level that is usually marked in the cistern and stops then its a faulty fill valve and the syphon is only doing what it should do

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I think it's the flushing mechanism/syphon/flapper which is faulty, and is not closing properly after a flush. How do I get to the rubber seal at the bottom, it seems to be a closed unit? Also, if I need to replace this whole unit (as I suspect), can I do this without removing the cistern completely?

A lot of syphons you can just change the body without removing the cistern but you will have to identify what is already in there which is easier said than done sometimes

Thanks for all the help so far. It is the standard B & Q toilet to go. Anyone had any experience in changing the syphon on these, I could do with avoiding taking the cistern off if I can.

It looks like this, please ignore the red cicle -

images

Have you checked the cable, they are common for sticking and the flush valve not shutting fully ?

There are a few versions of this valve one being the arcadia valve, Fluidmaster do one available from screwfix.

Fluidmaster_550_valve.gif

I don't think that it's the cable though I can't rule it out. Am I able to take the contraption apart at all, whilst it's still in position in the cistern?

Hold the valve half way down and twist it will seperate from the base and you can see the black seal washer on the bottom.

Thank you, I will try that later. Although, the B & Q one does look a little different to the one you have pictured, and it seemed to be all one piece all the way down, but I could well be mistaken.

Yes you got the old valve known as the 208.
You'll more likely find your seal washer is white not black on your model.

Thank you. Would I still be able to get to this, whilst it's in position?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back