B & Q - Trade point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would share my amusement.

Signed up for tradepoint last week with the promise of massive savings, Cost nothing so thought why not?

Go in today to be confronted by one of the tradepoint 'experts'. She was unsure how it worked, I asked for the price of some items that I had eyed up in store and she explained that they would need to be picked and then collected the next day despite me being able to see them from the counter. I explained this but it fell on deaf ears. I then thought, well if the saving is worth it then I'll wait.

Shelf Price = £32.98

She explained trade price was £32.98

??????????????

I asked how and was told sometimes there wasn't much of a saving but when I queried that tradepoint prices were quoted as plus vat she then said that it was true

Tradepoint price was £32.98 + vat

?????????????????

Tried explaining this can't be the case as this was more than the shelf price. she went on to tell me that the trade are able to claim the vat back so it was + vat but private people cant so the shelf price hasn't go vat on it.

Absolutely priceless,

Didn't know where to start to explain so grabbed the bits off the shelf and left puzzled and bemused that these people are let free to explain and instruct the general public with that level of knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Tradepoint is a waste of time.
Just collect off the self and pay. Only good point about the card is it go's on your account.

she went on to tell me that the trade are able to claim the vat back

If your vat registered. Dosy cow. :rolleyes:

would need to be picked and then collected the next day

You order and collect straight away.

Echo the comments really.

All prices are plus vat, in store and in book, who does that these days?

It just makes it look cheaper.

Saying that i did get some nice discounts off b&q shelf items.

They've no stock!! Most things are next day delivery, but a Friday afternoon can take until Monday before it's there to be picked up???!!!............Crazy useless service!!

Why can't they stock what's in their Tradepoint book??!!
Use Toolstation, it's the only answer.

Sponsored Links
Tradepoint in Farnborough guarentee that they won't be more expensive than B&Q, so if there's a promotion on the shelf than you should get that price.

The Farnborough store can be good in that if they haven't got it in stock, but it is on the shelf, they'll give you the Tradepoint price.

And they aren't allowed to discount B&Q branded products.

The thing I find irritating is that you have to lug heavier building materials back to the main counters instead of using the old trade counter, unless you have a Tradepoint card/account, which I haven't any more. Used to be so much easier before they tried to make it look professional :rolleyes:

mackandmutley";p="2175543 said:
Thought I would share my amusement.

typical of the staff in these DIY stores, many a time have I been given expert advice from a 'manchild'!!!! The only good thing about the tradepoint card is you dont have to use the bloody self service checkouts, behind the women with 32, dead, reduced priced plants that aint got a bar code.

The reason these companies don't have any stock; They're run by Accountants, not real people that deal with the customers face to face.
The best Builders'/Plumbers' Merchants are the indies, you may pay a wee bit more, but they have it in stock.

You can stand for 20 minutes or more at a Trade Counter, but if you can get all your gear & you're off to the job it's a worthwhile wait.

always use a local independent merchant. you will always get a discount. they are competetive.
for things like fittings you do not have to buy a large bag, when you only need a couple of fittings.
if you do not use your local merchant they will disappear. like your local butcher or greengrocer. use it or lose it.
bwhomeresponse

On some smaller sheets of MDF board and on some paint.

Can't remember the exact saving but I think the Dulux trade eggshell was £32 down to £24 with the saving.

Not found anything cheaper yet.

Some stuff are actually more expensive than B&Q shelf prices.

From my looking at CLS, MDF, T&G flooring, etc. they come out ahead of Wickes when you factor in delivery and the fact that hey can and will cut sheeting for you.

Delivered to site for free starting at £250 incl VAT can't be bad when Wickes want £30 or so, an extra 12% or thereabouts. Wickes won't cut either.

I use the Farnborough one.

Sponsored Links
Back