Competitors - what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Mainly joined a couple of forums as business hasn't been amazing past 6 months and a pal recommended having a look round to ask for some advice and stuff (is it okay to admit that?!). Also good to get a bit more in-depth info about the other trades that I don't work in - all good for the grey matter. Only been on a couple so far but everyone's been great so anyway thought I'd get a post in about how to deal with competitors.

People are forever harping on about 'going local' etc but I'm finding that I'm losing trade to bigger warehouse branches who are moving in and able to undercut with massive sales and then keep loyalty when they put prices back up. Am trying a couple of different things this year to try and keep up to date with them including getting on twitter and facebook. tried out linkedin but not having much luck with that.

all of them are great for a read and seeing what's going on in your trade but for business not had anything in the way of positivity.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong? or other stuff I could try to be more 21st century?!!! or is a matter of patience?

cheers all

Sponsored Links
Its a six week course cowboy. :mrgreen:

Who has just forked out £6k to become a plumber. :LOL:

You cant do anything about your competition, you have to sell yourself.

Its not always about price its about customers having confidence and trust in you.

Sounds daft but get and read "How to win friends and influence people" Dale Carnegie

Rubbish sounding title but dont judge a book by its title its got some superb advice!

When you quote for a job your quote is also a sales pitch, its got to be easy to read, pleasant, simple, and outline everything involved.

Where are you in Yorkshire ?

Sponsored Links
^ i agree, if the customer doesnt like you or trust you youve failed already,even before they see the price, price isnt the only issue. getting through the door of someones house who is wanting the job in the first place is a task. depends on what youre business is but you can, advertise (carefully)/website/word of mouth/social networks/charity work(newspaper article) etc etc. i see a lot of money wasted in the wrong areas in my trade, but a lot of work gained from smaller options. If you are always up against bigger companies, you need to work out why you are the better option, eg. more personal touch/ no sales reps to pay/ no sub contracting. You can easily put people of bigger companies as long as you know your stuff, its sometimes easier up against the big guys. Its a game from day 1, one slip up and the other guy takes over you

Hello! Sorry I haven't been back, I thought you always got notifications for replies and I haven't had any. Just checked back and have seen all of these - sorry for not responding sooner.

I have a merchants' business. I can assure you that I have had more than 6 weeks' experience!

My basic problem is that I don't have to manpower to sell, sell, sell on the shop floor. I'm often there, but I have a business to run too, so can't follow someone around as soon as they enter the door. I think that perhaps this is what my bigger competitors have over me.

I'm not very technologically minded, usually preferring to do things 'the old fashioned way', but I'm considering changing that and getting in some technology. That was mainly my topic with this thread, but it seems to have gotten a bit bogged down by other things.

Thanks for the advice all!

If you are still reading the posts I would suggest the following.
1. Exterior presence, does it look inviting from the outside, are your windows clean (if you have them) Is your signage adequate and in good repair.
2. Get a competent person,someone who is not involved in your trade to walk through the door with you as you open up. Ask them to comment on the layout, displays, pricing, cleanliness. Surprising what others see that you do not.
3. Get someone to do a mystery shop and get the report, it's an eye opener.
4. Do not leave any customers unacknowledged, newcomers may think that they are invisible, does not matter how many customers you have in at the time make contact with everyone and just say something like "Hello, be with you as soon as possible" they do not mind the wait them.
5. Smile, Smile, Smile, even if it'd the customer from Hell (we all get them). A smiling face will open a Wallet much faster than a sour one.
6. Check all your posters and adverts.... are they current... are they dog-eared.. are they in the most suitable place.
7. General public need help, don't assume they know what they need, ask the right questions without offending and have some recommended trader cards on display. Do not just leave the cards for them to be picked up... a personal recommend is a Gold Stamp of approval. "If you have any problems just give this person a ring and tell them I have asked you to contact them" (works 2 ways).
8 Don't just end the sale and quickly go to the next...Smile as you say Goodbye or whatever words you would use.
9. Complaints, that customer has already lost time and expense in bringing an item back, don't antagonise them any further, don't argue, solve the problem.. you want them to come back time and time again when you can make up for any lost profit.
10. Make sure they can use the Toilet and it is kept clean.
11. If they need change for the car park give it to them. ( my tills could not be opened without a sale but I had a small pot of change just for this purpose).
12 Free Coffee/Tea while they wait (self service but keep it spotless).
13. Phone an order before 8am and collect at lunchtime to save waiting.
The list is endless but these are just a few of the tips I give to anyone opening a new business/shop or upgrading the service they already have.
(Retired Tec Exec responsible for 900 existing retail service shops and new acquisitions).

Yeah, great post.
8 Don't just end the sale and quickly go to the next...Smile as you say Goodbye or whatever words you would use.
My local Lidl and Aldi will serve the next customer before i have even bagged my goods, this boils my **** no end. Asda, Tesco et al. make a point about you finishing bagging up (or ask for someone to do it for you) and always express an acknowledgment of parting depending on what interaction you have had with the cashier, a more formal bye now/good bye or if you have had a quick chat and a joke to c ya love/bye mate ect.

Makes a difference

Yeah, great post.
My local Lidl and Aldi will serve the next customer before i have even bagged my goods, this boils my p**s no end. Asda, Tesco et al. make a point about you finishing bagging up (or ask for someone to do it for you) and always express an acknowledgment of parting depending on what interaction you have had with the cashier, a more formal bye now/good bye or if you have had a quick chat and a joke to c ya love/bye mate ect.

Makes a difference

To be fair to Aldi, they seem to be trained to say hello and goodbye. Because they are a discount chain, they run their staff levels very lean. This means that you will normally have to queue longer than the other supermarkets.

Because of bare minimum staffing, Aldi have to get the customers quickly through the till. If you want a chat with the checkout operator whilst they carefully pack each of your groceries, then Waitrose is for you. However, you will pay for the privilige.

You pays your money...........

Great tips, thanks! I've decided to do a big re-vamp. Spruce up the whole place and get some new rules in the joint (fight club style!).

I think the whole thing was getting me down too much and I was being miserable because..well...I was miserable!

I also chat to people on (edit: UK Plumbers Forum) and they recommended pushing social media - fb, twitter, linkedin and g+ so have got going on all that. I did want to get a bit more current technology behind the business as I think it at least makes you look more professional! Takes a lot of time this being social though.

Also considering getting updated PoS system as current one takes about 5 mins to load and works 2/10! Customers don't have a choice - they have to stay and chat otherwise can't pay!

All in all things looking brighter. Cheers again for the advice, will update if I get a mad influx of customers through the door!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back