Advertising For 1st Time - Suggestions\Experiances?

And in regards of Google Adwords reseller, does your fee also include educating/training in what traffic to aim for or is it just: the more traffic you get, the better it is???

It's fully managed, so the most relevant keywords are selected for each business, to get good quality traffic - and these are reviewed frequently. The package also includes a landing page for each campaign.

Sponsored Links
I haven't got those details, but the Search Marketing Services team (on 0800 777 485) can provide that sort of info if you wanted to see some specific examples.

Sponsored Links
Hi Neil

Am into renovating and have taken a year out to dod so!
However have experience in selling etc
I would suggest:
a. Website
b. direct mail drop with a card-well designed-modern-photos and min of text but website link
c. Free advertising utilising Google Maps

If you are looking for local work Google Maps is great. Find a cheap but savvy web designer and i think £200 could get you a reasonable site. Google Maps as said is free. Print for 5000 cards only about £100. Design...get a one man designer to do it......Good luck!

Not sure if many here (DIY forum) will have much use for:
"Tender Your Project"
"Engage Contractors"
"Secure Contractor"

(Now that the "spammer - advertiser's post is removed on which this was a reply, just ignore the above ;)

Hi All.

Looking for advise\suggestions\experiences on advertising for the 1st time.

Last 4-5 years been doing residential multi-trade\DIY stuff; painting, decorating, door hanging, tiling small\medium kitchens etc. All via referral. Had good minimal amount of work, but gone very quiet this year!

Previously did couple of £80/quarter ads in local little trade\lifestyle mag - resulted in two “tight” customer calls - arguing over £30 for coming out to do flat packs etc!

Been referred to Check-A-Trade. Initially feel £900/year a bit steep? Looking around at others – including Yell etc. Also notice a few more so-called referral directories now starting up.

Just noticed on this forum criticism about Check-a-trade (will search some more)! Have been getting a “hard sell” from them to join since an initial phone call enquiry to them! Now wondering if customers may turn away given what I've just read and end up being expensive waste?

There’s also The Green Book (Directory of Excellence?) in my area – Reading, Berks – that supposedly also operates via referral. Any experience\comments?

Have mail shot all previous customers with new business and Xmas cards. Also flyers – for the 1st time – but only to houses around the area that have For Sale or Sold posts outside - been told general flyer-ing normally has poor results? Also starting to use all the "free entries" I can find like Yell.

Cheers,

Neil

Do NOT advertise with YELL.com, Yellow pages OR Thompson Local - this will only guarantee that you will throw £1,000s straight in the bin! These sources will only generate sales calls as the only people that use them are advertisers and spammers that don't want to pay for a traders list, also if your dumb enough to advertise with the above they think your dumb enough to buy there advertising too!

A good flyer will generate a good amount of work out of 10,000 delivered I would expect 10 phone calls within a few days after delivery, 2 after a couple of months and possibly 1 more after a year as some people put them in a draw until needed.

Thing is it takes a very long time to deliver them yourself and will cost you 3p each to pay a company to do it for you.

I would say as long as its cheap try lots of little things, local church booklets, the green book free listings on internet sites and printed directory's.

My hammer, trade face and all the others that are copying Checkatrade are all ****e! Checkatrade does work very well but only if you are good and can constantly get scored high for your work. I have seen some small minded twits slagging of checkatrade - they don'd know what they are talking about. Its the best advertsing in the country if your good at what you do and its the safest place to find a tradesman if you need work done.
If your up to competing with the best join - basic internet only advertising is only £550 ish and will generate enough work to keep you busy all year on its own and its paid in installment.

Why don't you call a few members and ask them (call people that arn't your competetion though to get a truthful answer.

Hell it sounds like I'm on commision!! They won an award recently and it was because they are a good company and are raising the standards of tradesmen that are answerable for there work and conduct - no one wins awards for being ****e!

Also don't beleive the hype these advertiser give you, like BT keep telling me 'We're BT' - yer a dead monopoly for Telecomunications ie., telephones! trying to make out that they are market leaders in internet placements (that's googles thing) and Yell, Thompson will tell you that there product sells itself! - well then why are they cold calling and doing the pushy salesman bit!!

Also Checkatrade are rapidly becoming nationaly recognized company and THE standard for other to immitate and follow, I doubt very much that a couple of thickies on a chat forum is going to bring a rapidly expanding, sucessful company to its knees!

Hi there

For handyman services I think your target market is older people so they need to trust who they let into their house. I would think parish magazines and Checkatrade would be your best bet and I would highly recommend that you publish your photo on Checkatrade and carry an I.D. card.

I find that this is an easy way that the older generation can be sure of who they are getting, as well as, their grown up computer savy kids who more often than not try to sort out their ageing parents household problems remotely by using people who have a Recommended, Vetted and Monitored reputation that is easy to look up and independently assessed by previous clients.

I found newspapers brought in about as much work as they cost and that there was no follow on, ie once the newpaper date is past it is yesterdays news and you won't get more calls from it. Directories are important to be listed in but don't bring much work. I cannot for the life of me can unsderstend why someone would pay for a big ad in one. I spend £100 per year on yell.

All the other listing sites are worth the time having a presence on, but only to drive people to my main page on Checkatrade where people are able to see what I have done for others and see my qualifications listed.

Good luck and hope things really happen for you in the new year.

Martin

I thought I'd post here from the customer angle. We've moved to a new area and are looking for a good general builder to renovate a house. It's really hard to find information. Even the ones with a web page are generally thin on information.

Fancy websites annoy me, especially if they have moving bits! But before I contact someone and potentially waste everyone's time, I want clear information about the sort of work the builder/company does, including the size of project. Is this builder going to ignore me if I just want one small room altered? Is this one going to be way over his/her head if it's a big reno job?

I'd like to see some photos of recent projects, in part because that, too, tells me what the contractor usually does.

I want the offer of references. If people will give nice referral quotes, that's definitely attractive, but I am going to want to be able to contact them eventually to see that they're real.

I'd like to see a photograph of the worker/workers. It's not really important, but it gives a nice feel. Unless you look like you've just escaped from the loonie bin, of course!

It'd be nice to have a price per hour for small jobs.

Essentially, the more hard information you can give, the better I feel about you. If it all seems fuzzy and vague, I'm wondering what you're hiding. Or, with prices, if you're looking to rip the unwary off with outrageous ones.

It is possible to create a free web presence with a blog, which are very easy to create. Instead of posting messages to it all the time as people do, you can just put your basic info up there and leave it.

Another point that I'd think you'd all know, but a lot of older people are desperate for handymen to do small jobs, especially anything high because they're afraid of using stepladders. It might hardly seem worth your time to put in a new light fixture or hang a curtain rod, but I've seen it lead to a very nice business. Not only will you get loads of referrals (assuming you're prompt, polite, do good work, and don't try to rip them off) but it'll lead to bigger things.

One day it'll be, "I'd like new kitchen cabinets, Bob. Do you think...." "Bob, I've got a leak from the roof. Can you help?" And on it goes. Because they know you and trust you, so you're their first thought when they or anyone they know needs a good job done, big or small.

I know one man who lives in an area with a lot of retired people (admittedly prosperous ones) who has 10 men working for him in this sort of business. And is turning work away because he won't hire people who don't have his work ethic -- prompt, polite, good work, and no ripping off the gullible or nervous.

Best wishes,

Mel

Sponsored Links
Back